Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAT Whats the normal????

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default IAT Whats the normal????

I did a 1981TTA, with 5.3 GT45 turbo, dual alky(snow) front mount(which isnt directly in front, sits to the left, and high) Anyway IAT get any where between 112-120 idle, under boost, it creeps up to 154! That was with the truck intake, so I have a LS1 intake, anyway temps seem to be the same. Do I need to wrap my hot side better? What is the normal temps???
Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ideally, you want to be within 20* of ambient temp while cruising. I've seen boosted/intercooled cars with IATs in the 150-160 range under boost when running in the 15psi boost range.

I'm sure that others will chime in here, but as long as you're not getting any knock, you should be fine. That being said, colder is (obviously) better. Personally, I'd wrap/coat as much as you can, and run a blanket on the turbo.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by salemetro
Ideally, you want to be within 20* of ambient temp while cruising. I've seen boosted/intercooled cars with IATs in the 150-160 range under boost when running in the 15psi boost range.

I'm sure that others will chime in here, but as long as you're not getting any knock, you should be fine. That being said, colder is (obviously) better. Personally, I'd wrap/coat as much as you can, and run a blanket on the turbo.
Dang, Im new to the LS stuff, but my alky kit on my Grandnational knock temps back into the 50s on a 80* day, but I cant see how this is so high, I have the temp sensor on the inside radius of the bend going into the throttle, think I need to move it to the outside of the curve, the meth is spraying before the temp sensor. Its not getting knock, but that high of a temp, has it knocking the timing way back. Maybe Ill add wrap to the wrap I have. Thanks for the reply, anyone else got some insight? Also have a blanket, how good is that coating, who does it, and is it expensive?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
Dang, Im new to the LS stuff, but my alky kit on my Grandnational knock temps back into the 50s on a 80* day, but I cant see how this is so high, I have the temp sensor on the inside radius of the bend going into the throttle, think I need to move it to the outside of the curve, the meth is spraying before the temp sensor. Its not getting knock, but that high of a temp, has it knocking the timing way back. Maybe Ill add wrap to the wrap I have. Thanks for the reply, anyone else got some insight? Also have a blanket, how good is that coating, who does it, and is it expensive?
With the meth injection, that changes everything....yes, you should be seeing much lower temps. Wrap/coat everything, and see what it does. The temps I listed above were on an intercooled car....no meth.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, that seems like my next move.

Quick Reply: IAT Whats the normal????