Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard to shift, clutch? slave?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to shift, clutch? slave?

98' SS with aT56, bought the car last friday. It is really hard to go into reverse in the mornings, but when the car is warmed up it is fine, but sometimes will act up and won't go into reverse even when warmed up...sometimes if i hold the clutch in while trying to push it in reverse and rev the engine up to 3k it'll go in.... and 5th gear grinds almost everytime i put it in 5th unless in low rpms.
Also, if i'm going about 20 mph or more and try to shift into 2nd, it won't go in unless i rev the engine up with the clutch engaged then it'll drop in...or if i'm at speeds of about 10 mph it'll go in with ease.

I posted in transmissions but didn't get any replies, hoping this section would help due to more frequent viewers. Thanks
Old 07-01-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone?
Old 07-01-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't look at your other thread, but reverse lockout solenoid and skip shift are on the same circuit (along with MAF and 02's). If the car is throwing codes I'd check the ENG SEN fuse. Just something easy to check.....long shot though.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The first item on the troubleshooting list for any shift-related transmission problems is the condition of the clutch hydraulic system. The first item on the clutch hydraulic system is to flush the clutch fluid and bleed as necessary.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Do u have fluid in your MC? I know it sounds like a dumb ? but i was haveing the same the problem. It was acually worse. My car was a hell to shift into any gear. Checked and no fluid in the MC. I flushed the system and BAM all is well now. Try that first. Then if it doesnt fix its self it might be your synchros going out. If thats the case just contact tick and get your trans rebuilt. Hope this helps. Good luck man.

Quick Reply: Hard to shift, clutch? slave?