Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making my own throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making my own throttle body?

Like the title says. Has anyone ever considered making there own TB? I just got a TBSS intake and have a line on an adapter to use any of the large 3 bolt TB on my 4 bolt intake but the adapter and TB are going to stack up to a decent cost. My thought was i will only be driving this truck in warm weather and mostly at the track.

Any big reason I couldn't use the stock TB cam and TPS and fab my own TB from there. The plan would be to cut out a mounting plate and weld a large(90mm) cylender to it. Drill it for the throtte plate pivot, and mount a tab for a screw to set how far it is open for an idle speed. Thefore worse case if the idle is a bit high or low at any given time I can adjust it.

Is this crazy? TB is such a simple device and on a race only truck i don't see why I need an intake idle air controller?

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Y not use adapter with ported 3 bolt 75mm tb. If it's just racecar. Who cares right. Or use of those cheep 80mm found on ebay
Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Well the TBSS intake is 90 mm inlet. It is a 408 with 12.5:1 compression. It should be moving some air. A 90 mm TB used is still $150 plus and the adapter is $40 shipped. I could probably build it for $20 or maybe less.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by custm2500
Like the title says. Has anyone ever considered making there own TB? I just got a TBSS intake and have a line on an adapter to use any of the large 3 bolt TB on my 4 bolt intake but the adapter and TB are going to stack up to a decent cost. My thought was i will only be driving this truck in warm weather and mostly at the track.

Any big reason I couldn't use the stock TB cam and TPS and fab my own TB from there. The plan would be to cut out a mounting plate and weld a large(90mm) cylender to it. Drill it for the throtte plate pivot, and mount a tab for a screw to set how far it is open for an idle speed. Thefore worse case if the idle is a bit high or low at any given time I can adjust it.

Is this crazy? TB is such a simple device and on a race only truck i don't see why I need an intake idle air controller?

Thanks.
you would be best off just to get a well engineered TB in the first place..

You likely dont have much of an idea of how much engineering and virtual modeling actually goes into designing a throttle body...
Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

No offense but if you don't want to spend $150 on a TB you might want to reconsider racing at all.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly what is 200$ after a built 408 lol
but im going to send you a pm i think i have a good solution for you
Old 02-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

It isn't a matter of spending the $150. It is a matter that building one seems so simple and anything custom built is much cooler then bought.

I understand lots of enginering goes into a factory TB. But a throttle body is nothing more then a open and close valve and the factory incoperates an intake idle air controller so that the motor will run and idle perfectly in any temp and weather conditions.

Just as a race car doesn't use a choke in a carb I have no need for a IAC on my truck.

If I can build it for $20-$30 and save the rest of the money and again more importantly have a one off TB I would be extreamly happy.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
It is a matter that building one seems so simple.

I understand lots of enginering goes into a factory TB.
How do these 2 thoughts come out of the same brain in the same post? Listen to yourself. If it was that simple everyone would be doing it. Its a bad idea. Its not simple in any way, shape, or form. However, Im not your pappy so do whatever you like.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you should make a How-To on this subject
Old 02-10-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe that someone who cannot spell simple words in the English language are capable to build a throttle body.

Plus most 90mm throttle bodies are 4 bolt.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:44 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried making a 12 bolt out of cardboard once lol, I think you should go ahead and try it just so you can see this is not gonna be a easy project,in 13 years I have never heard ( I made my own tb)good luck though man ,but I would just buy a new or used one,
Old 02-10-2011, 05:47 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I am not a perfect speller and typing often exaggerates everyone's miss spellings. That has nothing to do with building a TB.

Just because engineering goes into a factory TB doesn't mean it isn't actually simple. Most of the time is spent designing a product that has a low cost to manufacture, and will still do the job.

I am not quite sure why everyone thinks a TB is some magical device. It is a tube with a flap in side of it. The factory one has a small bypass with an electrically controlled valve and a small coolant passage to keep it from freezing in cold temps. That is it. Just like the city turns your water off if you don't pay the bill, you turn off most of the air when you let off the throttle.

A member offered me a 90 mm TB for really cheap I will probably take it off his hands. I still plan to build one and run it. One to prove how easy it is and two so that it will be another custom part of the truck.

Last edited by custm2500; 02-10-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
,in 13 years I have never heard ( I made my own TB)good luck though man ,but I would just buy a new or used one,
Until Bob Chandler(SP?) no one saw monster trucks, until the first hot rodders factory HP was all you got. Until someone hacked the computers and came up with HP tuners, you were stuck with hypertech.

Just because it is the first time you have heard of it doesn't mean it can't be done or isn't brilliant. Not saying this is the case with this situation but it has happened and will happened a million times. The idea becomes a reality and revolutionizes the world. I am not planning to move mountains but if I can move a tiny ant hill I would be happy.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it would only cost you $20 or $30 then what harm would it do to try and make one? If you put it on and it won't idle or run for crap then you know there's more to it than just a block with a flap in it, if not then you just saved some dough. I'd still have it dyno'd against one of the real ones though.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I don't know about Dyno numbers but I will swap them at the track and that will give a great comperison.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

no need for a throttle body at all... push it up to the water box, start the engine then VVRRRROOOOOOOOOMMMMMM shut it down coast up to the staging lanes and as the lights come down just start the engine at the 2nd yellow light and off you go! that way you dont even need to buy a gas pedal and its always WOT and the ultimate !ported !throttle body mod! other money saving tips are plug wires made out of coat hangers sugar free coolaid instead of engine coolant and oak tree twigs in place of hardened pushrods.

sorry... lol just messin with ya.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Basically you are saying something as simple as an electric cut-out is just short of being a functioning throttle body. Im saying you are way out in left field with that theory. Its amazing to me that you think no one has thought of this, attempted it, then failed miserably.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Well no one so far has tried and failed in this thread. Yes an electric cutout is all throttle body is. Take a look. Again in a race vehical I don't need an iac. Show me what else is part of the magical TB?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

I'm in for the build, but i agree spend the money man and get a nice TB. but if you want to blow 20-30 bucks by all means post the results and make us shut up.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do it and it will work...low rpm probably worse than factory made. You are half right. It is not rocket science and most guys on the forums are pack animals. They think certain bolts and parts are something they are not. You can save lots of money and headache if you know what is needed where and the how to of what makes things work. That is where experience and hands on knowledge comes in and you will increase both if you make or fail to make this tb. One of my favorites on this forum is the "you cannot reuse most of the bolts on the ls engines" Goodluck.

Quick Reply: Making my own throttle body?