Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

2001 Firebird door repair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2024 | 04:31 PM

Default 2001 Firebird door repair?

A little bit of a quandary here... maybe some advice?

I used to do some paint and body, and still have my tools and some supplies. However, that was years ago, and while I have done fiberglass repairs on boats, I have never worked on a fiberglass car door. I keep hearing that re-skinning them is easy???

My daughter has a beautiful, well cared for, red 2001 Pontiac Firebird. Some idiot backed into her drivers side door. The door skin has an 13" long horizontal tear in the center of the door in the flat area below the curve. In the center of that tear, there is a crack that extends downwards about 4" or so. The door is lightly scuffed up on the curved part, but no real damage there. Nothing was damaged inside the door, and it's a good, tight door with all good window components. No fiberglass is torn out nor missing.

I could repair the cracks fairly easily. However, if the skin is very easily replaced, maybe that is the way to go?? I can't seem to find any videos on skin replacement, so I don't know which way to go??

Are these doors painted, or is the color in the gel coat??

Thanks for any and all input.

Vettepilot

Old 10-13-2024 | 11:41 PM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

Because of the way these doors are formed, I don't think doorskin replacement in the traditional sense is a viable option. A good fiberglass/gelcoat tech might be able to give you a good result.

You might start by researching Corvette body repair and see what's involved and who's good at it. Also, you could check with a local body shop or boat repair shop that is proficient in that kind of work.

The other practical option is to source a good door from a boneyard, although that might involve wrangling with window regulator/motor issues.
Old Yesterday | 03:39 PM

I do all my own work, including paint and body, though it's been years.

I am having trouble though, researching the procedures for door skin replacement for these Firebird fiberglass doors.

I am also torn on whether to reskin, or repair the door in this case. Knowing the exact procedures for a re-skin would likely help me make that decision.

They sell the skins, and a body shop here locally states that is how they would repair it, so it is done with these doors...

Vettepilot
Old Yesterday | 04:15 PM
11 Second Club
20 Year Member

Honestly it would probably be easier to find a door in a salvage yard and just paint it or just repair what ya have there. Im not seeing a fiberglass skin replacement anywhere but if they are out there then I would think it would be a lot like removing a windshield.Getting the skin off could create a whole other issue though. the skin is just glued to the door body with whatever bonding material GM chose to use at that time.
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (Today)
Old Today | 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

as far as I know....the door skin is SMC....so repair methods should be used for that material.....read....fiberglass methods wont work
Old Today | 05:59 AM

Yeah, I just recently read/learned about the SMC thing in the forums. It's a good thing too. I would have attacked it with my old fashioned polyester fiberglass methods. My understanding is that would likely have turned out good and looked fine---> until the first hot day here when it would have bubbled/come apart... and we get 130 degree days here. (106 today!)

Again; is the color in the gel coat on these, or paint??

Thanks,
Vettepilot
Old Today | 07:55 AM
11 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Vettepilot
Yeah, I just recently read/learned about the SMC thing in the forums. It's a good thing too. I would have attacked it with my old fashioned polyester fiberglass methods. My understanding is that would likely have turned out good and looked fine---> until the first hot day here when it would have bubbled/come apart... and we get 130 degree days here. (106 today!)

Again; is the color in the gel coat on these, or paint??

Thanks,
Vettepilot
the color is good ole base coat clear coat paint with a smoke gray sealer under

Trending Topics

Old Today | 02:46 PM

Thanks!

Vettepilot
Old Today | 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

Hawks Motorsports might have a red 4th gen door
Old Today | 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

If you decide to replace the door I would use car-part.com to search for a door. I've had really good luck finding parts with them. You can search locally or nation wide.

Quick Reply: 2001 Firebird door repair?