Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Pipes, now I have a heat shield rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pipes, now I have a heat shield rattle.

Installed a magnaflow cat-back this weekend. Everything is good, and runs great! However, when I first start the car up, I get a rattle but it then goes away after a few mins...It sounds like a heat shield..How much clearence do you need from the heat shield and pipes? Could I damage the undercarrage from the possible heat?

Also will the tail pipes melt the paint on the bumper? They are about 1 inch away, and dont allow much adjustment becuase of the hangers...
Old 03-01-2004, 11:15 AM
WARNING: BAD TRADER STATUS

I had a rattle too that sounded like it was the heat shield. I took the heat shield out and started it and there was still a rattle. Mine ended up being a slight rasp from the cat back that sounds just like a rattle. Listen under the car if it sounds like it is comming from the Y pipe and cat area then it is a rasp.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I figure that if it was the heat shield, it would not stop after a few mins..

However, I am concerned with the tail pipe clearence..dont want to melt my pretty paint!
Old 03-01-2004, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Well, the pipes will expand some when they get hot. So, if you have a rattle when the system is cold, then it may simply be a loose clamp that just gets quiet as the pipes heat and expand. When you get a chance, go recheck all your clamps when the pipes are cool. I have had a few different catbacks on my car and I have always had to go retighten a clamp or two after a few days of driving. Just an idea.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very good point, thanks!