Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heeeeeelp!

Old 07-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heeeeeelp!

Here's the deal. I have an 02 z06 with stage one PRC ls6 heads and a ported fast 90 that made 468rwhp with a texas speed ms3 cam (238-242 603-609 on a 112 lsa). My tuner has been using some england green cams lately and talked me into putting the whiplash II cam (24X-25X 630-630 on a 113 lsa) in my car. He said it has a better idle and makes good power, 450 on stock heads... I put the whiplash cam in and went to get it tuned today and it put down 448/39x with peak power being at 6000rpms then going flat and runs like complete a$$ at idle and right off idle. It falls on its face when i try to accelerate from a stop, almost sounds like it has a misfire, backfired a few times and never settles into the hard lope like the other whiplash cars I have heard. I didnt matter what he did to the tune, add/pull timing and fuel, it still made the same power give or take 2-3hp. It was also setting codes for the front o2s for some reason. They are new.

My question is, is it possible for me to install it off a tooth and not have any ptv issues? I checked and changed the plugs and I haven't changed anything else on the car, only the cam. I really dont want to take the car back apart to check everything if its not possible. I checked the dots 3 times and they looked on but I was on my back and could have had a bad angle. Im at a loss here and I dont want to give the car back to him and have him waist another day messing with it if its something I did.

Has anyone had experience with the whiplash cam?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is your valvetrain setup for that much lift? maybe its holding it back? just off the top of my head idk braindstorming
Old 07-17-2011, 02:01 AM
Teching In

It has prc springs good for 650 lift. I bought the cam used on here a few weeks ago so I hope it is actually a whiplash cam. How often do bad grinds come around. The guy I bought it from claimed it was never installed in his car, only a friends. I hope he didn't pass a bad cam down to me...
Old 07-17-2011, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Did you look for any markings on the cam? Might not be what was advertised.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Teching In

It says whiplash II on it. I would hope that somebody wouldn't engrave that into a junk cam to sell it. I'm just wondering it installing it one tooth off would cause all of my problems.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

If you had it installed 1 tooth off it COULD cause the problems but first I'd be checking to make certain I had the correct length pushrods and making certain I didn't have coil bind on the springs from shimming them too much. I've also seen this sort of thing when one or more of the spark plug boots aren't fully pressed onto the plug. That'll make it run like A** for sure. Are you certain you got the ground wire on the rear of the D/S head bolted down properly? Take time to look for the easy stuff you might have missed. That's usually where you'll find the culpret.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Teching In

I checked and replaced all the plugs and made sure all the plug wires are on all the way. That's almost what it feels like. I didn't take the heads off so the ground shouldn't be loose. I can check that today anyways. I was going to do a compression check and check pushrod length sometime this week also. I I don't find anything I'm going to pull it back apart.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heeeeeelp!