Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Setup Plan

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Setup Plan

Hey guys, I'm currently planning my next step in mods for my 99 LS1 Trans Am and would like some feedback.

After quite a bit of research on components, my current plan is to build a custom mandrel bent 3" true dual under the axle exhaust system. These are the components that I have selected and have planned for the system.

TSP 1 7/8" long tube headers

Flowmonster 3" X-pipe

2 Cherrybomb Vortex Mufflers

2 Dual 4" exhaust tips

2 DMH 3" Cutouts (I already have these, but I'm not sure if I should install them.)

Here are the links to the parts I've listed in sequential order.

http://texas-speed.com/p-291-texas-s...e-headers.aspx

http://www.dependonauto.com/sxp6ssfl...stainless.aspx

http://www.cherrybomb.com/Catalog/vo...tex-88105.aspx

The dual exhaust tips aren't listed on E-bay anymore, but they do have a wait-list.

http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm

I am also a little confused about the Crossover X-pipe. I remember hearing something about how the X-pipe should direct the exhaust in a parallel flow instead of perpendicular like most crossovers. Do any of you guys have any info on this?

Or I could use this panhard bar relocation kit and run a 3" dual exhaust over the axle. But I'm not so sure about the exhaust length being different for each side.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...8upd13ckdtcns4

Last edited by Suzaku; 08-04-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jus' some feedback:

Unless your going to be pushing 600+ horses I'd stick with a 2.5" system. A 3" system is pretty big for true duals and might need a upper panhard bar relocation bracket like you pointed out. Stick with a 2.5" and you'll have better clearance, more than enough flow, and save money being that you will not need a relocation bracket.

As far as the x-pipe, I'd rather buy one that is pre-made rather than have a shop make one. A custom X-pipe might not flow well and in my opinion, you'll be better off purchasing a pre-made one.

I'd seriously think twice about dual 4" pipes. I don't even think they'll fit! Plus I don't think they'll look good.

Do not waste your money on two DMH cutouts. A 2.5" true dual with headers will flow pretty good and the cost-to-benefit ratio will be pretty low as I don't think you'll gain much of anything by installing cutouts on top of a true dual system.

My opinion?

Go with eBay headers for 200 bucks, a custom 2.5" true dual system from a reputable shop and your choice of mufflers, (may I suggest single-chambered Flowmasters?), and call it a day!
Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 AM
Staging Lane

^^^^I second that. Everyone hates on ebay headers, but I love mine.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Run what you want, personally I've been wanting to hear true duals with cherry bombs. I wanted to run 3" but I was told it's too big, so I ran 3" to the X and 2.5" all the way back to my 4" tips, and if you got the cutouts just throw em in.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Well, funds aren't an issue for my exhaust and I do plan on eventually having 600+ and I don't want to have parts that I upgraded in the past holding me back. The dual 4 inch tips should fit hopefully.

The cherybombs I'm getting are their flow divider/glasspacks hybrid design so it won't be as loud as I don't want to attract too much heat.

The cutouts are cool, but I bought them when I was planning on keeping my y pipe. I also changed my mind after hearing you'll need multiple sets of tuning to run cutouts properly.

I've heard nothing but praise for the tsp headers, and I don't want to get arh headers as I see an aps turbo build in the near future.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Launching!

The headers are great, just a pain to put in and change plugs with but dual 4" tips will fit, that's what I have unless you're sayin 4" inlet and 4" outlet. Just run the cutouts man. I regret not saving up for cutouts when I did my exhaust
Old 08-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I guess I might install the cutouts, but then there is the extra weight, and the temptation of running around with the cut-outs open.

I've decided to switch my magnaflow X-pipe to a flowmonster X-pipe, it looks like it flows much better than the magnaflow, looks better, and is cheaper to boot.

http://www.dependonauto.com/sxp6ssfl...stainless.aspx

Last edited by Suzaku; 08-04-2011 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Weight? I don't imagine cut outs weigh too much. Are they manual or electric?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say just buy the tsp set up,and for mufflers I would go with sweet thunders,by far duals is the way to go,I have really good clearance ,and with my ms4 cam the sound just rocks,top fuel car 24/7 lol
Old 08-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Hmm, I considered the TSP dual system in the past, but I decided against it as I still want the exhaust to dump at the rear. Having empty holes in my bumper would make my car look sad...

Btw, how is that MS4 Camshaft in daily driving? My TA is an M6, and is my daily driver when I don't want to drive the slow car. I was originally thinking about getting a torquer v2, but I'm considering going all out if I get a cam.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Launching!

Bump, I think I made this title too un-interesting... not a lot of people coming in to provide feedback.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Suzaku
Bump, I think I made this title too un-interesting... not a lot of people coming in to provide feedback.
lol this comment made me laugh because the same thing has happened to me before.

Anyways, that setup sounds like its going to rock, whatever you plan on doing, and the 3" duals I definitely agree with if you are planning on more heavy modding in the future.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Well, since people haven't mentioned anything negative yet, I'm just gonna go ahead and order the parts.