Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome vs ceramic coated

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Chrome vs ceramic coated

What are the differences in chrome and ceramic coated headers? Are the ceramic coatings applied to aid in durability, rust prevention, heat retention, or just to keep the headers looking good as time goes on? I was going to purchase a set of coated headers but waited too long and now the only thing available for immediate purchase is the chrome set. Depending on the differences between the two I may just purchase the chrome set now.

Thanks for all your input guys,
Jason
Old 08-06-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest positive for ceramic headers is keeping temperatures under the hood down some. The coating is also a nominal anti-rust protection, but it will flake off eventually and the headers will still rust.

I've honestly never heard of chromed headers...are you sure they're not stainless?
Old 08-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
I've honestly never heard of chromed headers...are you sure they're not stainless?
I've seen a handful of chrome headers on some street rods and mainly motorcycles around here...all of them were discolored - the closer the tube was to the exhaust port, the more discolored it was. The ceramic coating on my Kooks headers hasn't changed color since day one, and is why I'll always choose ceramic coating over chrome for headers.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

They are BBK headers. The two options are ceramic coated or chrome. I can't say 100% for sure the headers are chrome just going by the website. Maybe someone that has them can chime in a clarify for me?

Thanks Jason
Old 08-06-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I've seen a handful of chrome headers on some street rods and mainly motorcycles around here...all of them were discolored - the closer the tube was to the exhaust port, the more discolored it was. The ceramic coating on my Kooks headers hasn't changed color since day one, and is why I'll always choose ceramic coating over chrome for headers.
Yeah, I've seen chrome exhaust bits on a couple trailer-queen show cars, but never seen anything advertised for LS1 f-bodies as chrome. My stainless Kooks have discolored a bit, but I expected that with stainless (and it makes them look neat, too ).

Originally Posted by jastone
They are BBK headers. The two options are ceramic coated or chrome. I can't say 100% for sure the headers are chrome just going by the website. Maybe someone that has them can chime in a clarify for me?

Thanks Jason
BBK is listing theirs as "chrome finish", but since it's significantly cheaper than the ceramic-coated version ($120 less), I'm wondering if it's not just polished mild steel.

I'd honestly prefer the ceramic over the uncoated headers...any reason you're not considering other header options, or do you really want to stick with the BBKs? TSP's stainless 1 7/8" headers are due in decently soon (I think around the middle of this month) for the same price as the BBK coated setup.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

chrome headers look sweet but i havent seen them in a long time.

yes, KOOKS do look cool when they discolor but mine have held up great. i prefer stainless for durability.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the bbk's are chrome and will discolor. just go ceramic coated, the bbk ceramics are a great deal
Old 08-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Launching!

not to still the thread but, wat about powder coated headers? my buddy can do either ceramic or powder coated but i wondered if the powder coat would hold up to the heat for extended periods of time?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

I'd honestly prefer the ceramic over the uncoated headers...any reason you're not considering other header options, or do you really want to stick with the BBKs? TSP's stainless 1 7/8" headers are due in decently soon (I think around the middle of this month) for the same price as the BBK coated setup.
Honestly I've been thinking about the BBK based price and the positive feedback I've seen people post on here. I was able to get the BBK ceramic for $400 while the "chrome" was ~$300. Now I can't seem to find the 1 7/8" stainless TSP headers on their site. Only headers I found were 16 gauge carbon steel ceramic coated for $499 with no y pipe ($130 option). I liked BBK because it came with the y pipe. I'm not gonna be cheap but I just bought a d-1sc and I really don't want to pay $1300 for headers and a y pipe. Even the TSP combo would be $700 not bad but still twice as much as the BBK.

Thanks jason
Old 08-07-2011, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from what I under stand and have experinced the ceramic headers will disepate heat faster .try changing or checking plugs on a chrome header after a round of racing with NOS.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Teching In

I just bought the bbk chrome headers and they look good out of the box but waiting to install them. What i have seen by searching around they are a great fit and provide good ground clearance also the chrome will change color but will not rust like other budget headers that are ceramic coated. Again is what i saw in a couple of threads just search it but i guess i will find out for myself soon
Old 08-07-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Get the Pacesetters+y-pipe from TSP if you are looking to stay cheap, but I would save for the stainless TSP headers if I were you. Cheap chrome headers are going to look horrible after a little use, unless you are only worried about power I wouldn't get them.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unless it's a show car, or soon will be, or you keep everthing under the hood spotless year round...why worry so much about the look of your headers? You can hardly see them. They only look good when their not on---in the box...
Old 08-07-2011, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

I'm not so much worried about the looks as much as the durability and function of the headers. Though I dont want these things to rust. If anyone has these headers in the "chrome" finish please tell me your opinion of them.

Thanks Jason
Old 08-08-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Stainless Steal and worry free!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 AM
FormerVendor

If you plan on keeping the car a while go stainless steel. Mild steel headers will rust out. Chrome headers will turn blue once you get them hot enough.

Quick Reply: Chrome vs ceramic coated