Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cammed LS1 Borla Adj open & closed

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
sounds awesome when closed!! very nice car btw real clean how did you do that rear fender thingy? it looks nice.
Thanks bro, the previous owner hammered the rear fender lips in, making it all bent and wavy. The only way I could figure to straighten them back up was to flare them out. I rented the fender rolling tool from a guy on here and it worked out great.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z/YA
Sounds just like my car did.

I think with the stock manifolds and cats the Borla sounds great, but once I took off the manifolds for headers and ORY I hated the Borla exhaust it was just so raspy it did not matter it if was open or closed or what sized plate I made for it. Just idelling is sounded ok but when you was driving it and when you would shift and the R's would drop it was like a wet fart sound lol.
But Im a odd one I guess because I don't like a lot of the big name exhust.

Here is a old video of mine with the LS1, I have some with the LS3 somewhere, hopefully I'll have another with the LSX here soon if I can get time to finish the cage and but the motor back in it.

http://youtu.be/NNFcQq6KKCY
That sounds real good and yeah, on my setup it sounds like a wet fart around 2000rpms with the two bigger holed plates installed. It only sounds good with the smallest holed plate or closed on mine.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LaBLKv6Z
That sounds real good and yeah, on my setup it sounds like a wet fart around 2000rpms with the two bigger holed plates installed. It only sounds good with the smallest holed plate or closed on mine.
When you have LT's and OR-Y and you put the smaller plate in it or if you have an e-cutout closed; is it as loud as what it was with exhaust manifolds and the wide open plate? I've never heard a Borla with LT's as I just have manifolds still, but gonna be doing LT's within a couple weeks. Youtube videos are kinda hard to use for exhaust sound.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

IDK, to me, the sound decibels is the same no matter which open plate you use. The quality of the sound changes. The loudness didn't change going from manifolds to LT's for me either.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:15 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds quite different with the block plate in. I have the Borla adj as well, but I don't have any of the block plates... I will say I like your tips a lot better than the ones that come with the adj catback.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:42 AM
On The Tree

I honestly believe when you still have manifolds and cats the Borla is the best sounding exhaust out there for the F body. I think that the high end exhust like Borla and Corsa are made for cars for people who are going to install a cat back and call it good.

But once I took off my manifolds and cats and went to LT's and ORY I never liked the Borla. I put the CME on it and the helped some with the raspy sound, not quite sure how but it did. Then I started making plates for it and I am running like a 1in hole in it and its still raspy as all get out.

I now have a complete custom NASCAR boom tube side exiting exhust. I have it all mocked up and finished. Just need to get time and motovation to finish the poor car. I have it all tucked up under the car and have the boom tubes exiting though the driveers side gound effect much like the 03-4ish Saleen Mustangs.
Here is a car from Hutter Racing that I made mine similer to, I hope it sounds good, don't see why it wouldn't, Big cubes make a huge differance on sound.
http://www.hutterperformance.com/Pro...98-Camaro.aspx

Last edited by Z/YA; 09-04-2011 at 02:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Cammed LS1 Borla Adj open & closed