Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

o2 sensor BIZARRE issue!!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 sensor BIZARRE issue!!

I recently picked up a cammed 01 Z06 and I'm in the process of changing the longtube headers out to some nicer ones. So here's my problem.

I took out the front o2 sensor on the driver side and it's normal. When I came to take out the passenger side o2 sensor, I traced the wire along the heat shield and it turns out to be completely ripped off with bare wires everywhere. The ripped up wires were tucked under the heat shield neatly so whoever did it, did it purposely. I look for the harness near the header and I find it completely melted. No wonder why nothing is plugged in right?

The bizarre thing about this is that I've had the car for 2 months and haven't had a single code pop up. How on earth can it run normally with just one o2 sensor? I get around 30mpg on the highway and the car is extremely powerful.

Does anyone have a clue on what is going on here? How come no codes, no issues, can the FRONT o2s be tuned out?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Adham
Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Amateur reply here: maybe it's running off Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP Sensor) without feedback.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

If the car is tuned for full-time open loop it can run with no O2 sensors. I ran my car that way for over a year; O2's were uninstalled.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RevGTO
If the car is tuned for full-time open loop it can run with no O2 sensors. I ran my car that way for over a year; O2's were uninstalled.
Thanks for the replies.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of running full time open loop?
Old 08-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Pontiacerator

O2 sensors don't work properly with LT's because they're moved too far downstream and the exhaust is too cool to give proper readings. So they can be sending bad feedback to the PCM that causes fueling to be thrown off. Plus they tend to throw codes constantly.

Running open loop commands fueling from the AFR tables. You set your fueling tables where you want and then work with a wideband sensor to insure that your AFR is as commanded and you're done.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

O2 sensors don't work properly with LT's because they're moved too far downstream and the exhaust is too cool to give proper readings. So they can be sending bad feedback to the PCM that causes fueling to be thrown off. Plus they tend to throw codes constantly.

Running open loop commands fueling from the AFR tables. You set your fueling tables where you want and then work with a wideband sensor to insure that your AFR is as commanded and you're done.
Ah I see. Thanks for the help!
It doesn't seem like a popular choice according to some of the threads I was reading....my car runs fine though
Old 08-13-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So where do you install the wideband sensor to achieve the accuracy that is unachiveable with the regular sensors?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Pontiacerator

A wideband can be installed just about anywhere in the exhaust flow. It doesn't have the same requirement for heat that the narrowband does.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A wideband can be installed just about anywhere in the exhaust flow. It doesn't have the same requirement for heat that the narrowband does.
Okay, thanks.

Search this Thread