Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Oil Cooler Electric Fan Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Remote Oil Cooler Electric Fan Mounting

I've got a 12" x 10" x 2" Mocal oil cooler right in front of my AC condenser. With the iron 408, stock cooling system, and tremendous heat load of the AC system in this Texas heat, I have to move it somewhere else. My IAT's are through the roof when at low speeds and even at the track. I may be having detonation issues due to this and other issues.

SO, I plan on moving the oil cooler between the lower radiator support and the steering rack, mounted horizontally of course. My previous oil temps without a cooler were in the 240*F range. With the oil cooler above 70 MPH, I am at 180-190*F. Slower than that creeps up to 210*F and if in heavy traffic, back up to 240*F and overheats my radiator and shuts off my AC compressor due to high pressure/temperature.

I don't know if the airflow will be enough to cool the oil cooler, especially at low speeds so I bought a 12" electric fan and thermostat from the local parts store. Here is the main question, how would you orient the fan?

1. Mount on the top side of the cooler as a pusher pushing hot air from behind the radiator to the ground
2. Mount on the top side of the cooler as a puller pulling cooler air from the ground and into the engine bay
3. Mount on the bottom side of the cooler as a pusher pushing cooler air from the ground into the engine bay
4. Mount on the bottom side of the cooler as a puller pulling hot air from behind the radiator to the ground

What would YOU do?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

I would say taking air from the ground up would be best. I feel like a pusher from the bottom would be the more effective of the two, but Im not 100% sure on that.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am definitely leaning towards flowing the cooler ambient air from the pavement to the hot engine bay. Push or pull is going to really depend on space constraints.

My only concern with that is I am still adding that heat load to the engine compartment if the flow is from the ground, although it will not be transferred to the coolant or AC condenser. I guess I just need to figure out if keeping that heat load is OK as long as it is not being transferred to the cooling system and refrigerant system.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unless you can move it completely out of airflow to the Radiator/AC condenser I don't see it helping much. Ever think of upgrading the radiator? Iron block, AC, and desert heat.. I can't see the stock radiator keeping up well. Lt1 Radiators are almost twice as thick as the stock LS1 unit and look stock and fit like stock or else pickup a really nice aftermarket unit.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
Unless you can move it completely out of airflow to the Radiator/AC condenser I don't see it helping much. Ever think of upgrading the radiator? Iron block, AC, and desert heat.. I can't see the stock radiator keeping up well. Lt1 Radiators are almost twice as thick as the stock LS1 unit and look stock and fit like stock or else pickup a really nice aftermarket unit.
I've thought about it, but its not in the cards right now financially. Moving the oil cooler costs me a cheap electric fan, that's it. Also, moving the cooler will definitely help. The cool incoming air will dissipate heat from the condenser and radiator first instead of the oil cooler transferring that heat load through them. This will also lower my IATs a bit as it is one less heat load in front of the air box. With the fans on, I don't see the oil cooler transferring any heat to the condenser or radiator.