Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Step.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2 Step.....

Im looking to add a 2 step system for more consistant launches. Which 2 step do you use and what are the pros and cons?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put the msd box in my car. Install took 20 minutes and it seems to works great though I have not been able to test it yet.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

How is the activation and deactivation work on the MSD?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

My car is a 98 and it might be different for 99-02 but if you remover the kick plates from under the steering wheel there will be a purple and white wire on the lower clutch control switch. Tap the msd wire into that and plug it into ground on the msd box. It makes it so the box only has power when the clutch is pushed in.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Any others on the market
Old 08-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Using MSD 2step I lost 2tenths in my 60ft times. It's well worth the $200.00.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jetaws6
My car is a 98 and it might be different for 99-02 but if you remover the kick plates from under the steering wheel there will be a purple and white wire on the lower clutch control switch. Tap the msd wire into that and plug it into ground on the msd box. It makes it so the box only has power when the clutch is pushed in.
Mine is a 99, I did see a purple with white strip wire and a green wire coming out of the clutch switch, is that what you tapped into???? Going to do this this week end. Also what wire did you use out of the MSD box, solid blue or white w/blue strip?
Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

I can take some pics later tonight but I think I hooked it into the solid blue. At first I had it hooked up to the white and blue one and it didnt work so I switched at and that did the trick.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

Please if you can get that info for me that would be wonderful!!! Pictures too!!! Does the 2-step kick on well driving and shifting????
Old 08-23-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

I havent had a chance to drive it yet my cars been sitting on stands waiting for the mwc 9.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

So I was just looking at the instructions and it said blue wire to ground. So then I can tie it into the purple w/white line wire? not green. Can you please varify this when you get a chance on your car.
Thanks for your time!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 4U2NV-SS
So I was just looking at the instructions and it said blue wire to ground. So then I can tie it into the purple w/white line wire? not green. Can you please varify this when you get a chance on your car.
Thanks for your time!
You need a test light to figure out which wire you need to splice/connect to,,reason why I say this is because some cars have a grey wire,,some have a tan wire,,and some use a white striped wire.

My car is a 2000 and mine used the white striped wire,,,,but I helped a guy with a 1999 and his didn't have the same color wires as mine ,but his used a tan wire.

Also there is two different switches for the clutch pedal,,,you use the switch that is closest to the steering wheel.

So with this being said you have to use a test light in order to figure out which wire to connect to.

Now remove the switch from the bracket ,,then take your test light and find which wire has power to it (ONLY) when the switch button is pressed in. Once you find that wire then thats the wire you need to connect your 2step (GROUND) wire to.

So in the end with everything put back in place and hooked up the 2step will only work when the clutch pedal is pressed in and when the clutch pedal is released then the 2step is off.

To answer another one of your questions,,,, I will use my setup as an example,,,,I have my 2step set at 3600rpms so I stage mash clutch pedal down which turns on my 2step then floor the gas pedal then when i'm ready let off the clutch to step turns off the car takes off as it is suppose to I shift into second at 6500rpms and so on.The 2step will not work if the rpms are over the rpm limit the 2step is set at.

Hope I have helped
Old 08-23-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

I let my friend borrow my test light so I used my meter just to see what voltage I had. He is bring me it back tomorrow. I tested the 4 wires that come out of the upper clutch switch Brown, Pink, Grey and Black with a white line.

Without pressing the clutch the Brown wire had 12 volts, the Pink had 12v, the Grey was 0v and the black 0v

With the clutch pressed half way the Brown 12v, Pink 12v and Grey 10V Black 0v....ny car was not running just the ignition on.

So do I hook it up to the Grey wire? wouldn't that be for the 12V wire on the 2step?

I undertand the whole shifting thing now, thanks!!!

Sorry I just want to do it right the first time. I hate working with the wires under the dash!

Someone said you can hook up a wire to the grey wire at PCM#32??? any thoughts on that since it is all under the hood.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 4U2NV-SS
I let my friend borrow my test light so I used my meter just to see what voltage I had. He is bring me it back tomorrow. I tested the 4 wires that come out of the upper clutch switch Brown, Pink, Grey and Black with a white line.

Without pressing the clutch the Brown wire had 12 volts, the Pink had 12v, the Grey was 0v and the black 0v

With the clutch pressed half way the Brown 12v, Pink 12v and Grey 10V Black 0v....ny car was not running just the ignition on.

So do I hook it up to the Grey wire? wouldn't that be for the 12V wire on the 2step?

I undertand the whole shifting thing now, thanks!!!

Sorry I just want to do it right the first time. I hate working with the wires under the dash!

Someone said you can hook up a wire to the grey wire at PCM#32??? any thoughts on that since it is all under the hood.

Yes use the grey wire based on your info above,,,from my understanding with the MSD 2step the cars that use the grey wire use the power wire on the 2step and the cars that use the white striped wire or tan wire uses the negative wire on the 2step.,,but i'm not 100% sure about this.

Also if you can just splice into the grey wire at the PCM that would be the easiest place to do it.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Lower clutch switch

Where I mounted the box (with http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...rs-Black-78-x/) instead of screws

Where I drilled a hole in the fire wall

Old 08-23-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys!!! Now I just need to decide which wire I want to use power or ground.

THANKS FOR ALL YOU HELP!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

I use the Lingenfelter LNC-003. I love it. Works like the MSD but comes with great instructions. Also the LNC-003 can be used for torque cut between gears. So every time at the track I never lift off the gas pedal after take off. Makes shifts quick and nice. Pretty scary at first though haha.

Quick Reply: 2 Step.....