Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running open throttle body

Old 08-20-2011, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Running open throttle body

(I'm not trying to run an open throttle body, I'm tryng to understand the dynamics behind it for a different application).

If one takes a standard LS setup and removes everything before the throttle body (filters, air tubing, etc...), obviously this will be not ideal (lack of velocity to the tb)

If one attaches a 4'' long tube to the tb, and a filter on the end of the 4'' long tube tube, will this be okay, or are there still velocity issues?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if running an open tb is a bad idea, is there a minimum amount of air tubing that addresses the problem? For example, is there a formula that says you need atleast 10'' between where air will begin entered and the tb in order to maximize effectivness? I assume this is a fairly broad questoin, but assume that in this case there's no way to make a ram-air style setup to force air into the tb, and your engine is just sitting there, so you could do anything you wanted, from leaving the throttle body open to having a 5ft long air tube attached to it.....
Old 08-20-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where would you put your MAF?
Old 08-20-2011, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Can I opt not to use a MAF in the above example?
Old 08-20-2011, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure people get mafless tunes all the time. I think it depends on the body design and air streams going to the motor. If its on a ram air hood id say it might work. Or a throttle body that opens from the top with a hood scoop. But in general I would use some tubing to an opening somewhere on the car...hood, underneath etc
Old 08-20-2011, 06:05 PM
dug
Banned

remove the blade for maxflow
Old 08-20-2011, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ws6outlaw
Sure people get mafless tunes all the time. I think it depends on the body design and air streams going to the motor. If its on a ram air hood id say it might work. Or a throttle body that opens from the top with a hood scoop. But in general I would use some tubing to an opening somewhere on the car...hood, underneath etc
this application is a little bit difficult to do it on.

Basically it's rear engine, twin throttle bodies. The throttle bodies are about 3'' behidn the firewall, so the easiest solution for me to to cut a hole in the rear firewall, and attach a 4'' pipe (w/ some type of filter to the end) of it. If I use ducting, well, the pipes are on the inside of the car so the only option is cut a hole in the roof (no! lol) or route the pipes by the windows, but I'd rahter not turn my head and see an air intake right beside me, lol

Originally Posted by dug
remove the blade for maxflow
lol =)
Old 08-20-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen the NHRA stock class guys run open T. bodies with a SD tune. Idon't see way the tube would hurt you. Guys running off road trucks use snorkle kits all the time. You would have to tune for the pipe if it was real long and maybe out of the air flow completley.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
I've seen the NHRA stock class guys run open T. bodies with a SD tune. Idon't see way the tube would hurt you. Guys running off road trucks use snorkle kits all the time. You would have to tune for the pipe if it was real long and maybe out of the air flow completley.
When I did some basic googling, I found most are in agreement - open tbs are a bad idea (lack of velocity).

So that's why I though 'okay, what if I stick a 4'' tube on it'. But then I thought 'I wonder if there's a minimum distance needed (e.g., 10'') from the entry point to the tb in order to not run into any potential problems/loss of hp/etc...

I know nothing about air flow dynamics; all I know is that every oem I can think of has at least 2-3ft of tubing from the throttle body forward .... so maybe there's a minimum needed to get air moving efficently into the tb.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

stockers run open TB because they have to run all the stock parts. or nothing.
So open TB it is.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

I've got an SD tune with 4" ducting going to an FTP 98 lid. Works fine. Just gotta have the MAF tuned out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Running open throttle body