Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car cuts off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car cuts off while driving

For awhile I had a problem with when I would stop, clutch out, anything that had to do with the RPMs dropping to idle. I could also feel, as I was driving around, that I had a slight vacuum leak as the car would drive its self at times. (Cruising in 2nd gear in the neighborhood, instead of a nice engine brake coming up to the stop signs, the car acts like im still resting my foot on the accelerator giving just a hint of gas.)

After trying my ac/heater controls one day I noticed that only the defrost worked, so I checked the manifold and low and behold the AC vacuum source was unplugged. Plugged it back in and test drove it around the block, felt better than it had in awhile.

Next day, after driving it about 15 miles, it starts high idling again when I pull up to stop signs and lights. I started checking all vacuum, and could not find a culprit. I even plugged the PCV lines to the manifold just to make sure and still high idle.

I didn't think much of it, I thought maybe I needed to reset the battery and let it relearn. I did check the throttle position screw, it was marked by the previous owner and is in its correct spot. (Thank god lol)

Last Saturday I had to drive 26~ miles to and back, toget some E85 that I mix with the crappy 91 around here. Well, on the way back after no issues, the car acts like I turned the key off and shuts off. Then comes back on and I cruise fine for a few minutes when it does it again. I pulled over and checked everything about the car and it seemed fine and everything was how it was before I left. Checked for burnt wires, burnt smell or smoke and nothing.

Got home, but it died one more time as I was turning onto my street

Did some searching on here and a few people mention the grounds, so I have checked: The 2 going to the Passenger side behind the battery. The one in front of the battery on the radiator support and the one directly on the opposite side of the car of this one. The Fuse box. The ground under the fuse box.

Now heres a problem I still need to confirm, I can tell that the top ground on the driver side head is fine as I can feel the bolt and the wires coming from the O ring. However, when I feel the below bolt I almost do not feel any ground wires, but yet I feel the o-ring around the bolt. I will still confirm this information, but if it is possibly these grounds, wouldn't the car have not started? Or at least something else because the PCM isn't grounded?

I saw another thread where someone said it was the ignition relay. So I swapped the starter relay with the ignition relay and all was fine yesterday, but today while driving home from a friends after work, it died on me 3 times within 2 blocks.

Could this be a Crank Position Sensor problem instead of a ground problem? Or is the high-idle apart of the ground problem? Maybe this should go in electrical.. I don't know.. I am at a loss right now.