Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How loud is a Dual exhaust setup inside the car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How loud is a Dual exhaust setup inside the car?

Debating my spending money on a used electric cutout and new muffler vs true duals. My buddy told me to avoid true duals because of both the noise and exhaust fumes coming inside the car, and go with the electic cutout and catback to get both setups in one. But I would like some more opinions before dropping another $300-400 into my current setup.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

the noise in the car isn't bad at all. I haven't had fumes come in yet either unless I start it in the garage
Old 03-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Also, my main con for the dual setup dumped before the axle is the lack of exhaust tips out the back. Not sure if I can get pasted that, did you guys?
Old 03-05-2004, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

i ran mine all the way out back. that may be the reason for no exhaust inside my car, but i didnt help with the noise. Dont get me wrong, it sounds kick ***, but on long highway trips at 75 mph it will start to give you a head ache
Old 03-05-2004, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Drone is pretty bad with the windows up, and the fumes are pretty intense also. This is why I am going back to a Y setup....

Robbie
Old 03-06-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had the infamous drone, that would drive me crazy
the metal rattling sound almost sounded like a 4cylinder with a fartpipe, kinda embarassing sometimes
the fumes never bothered me, they only got inside when the wind was blowing
If you get em run out the back, with good rubber exhaust mounts here and there, they shouldnt be too bad
Old 03-06-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

man more people need to reply, i'm in the same boat, i just bought that stupid pacesetter ORY and it sucks, and duals seem badass but i have a T/A and i want tips showing and i have to drive 6 hrs at a time from Lubbock to Plano and i dont want to go deaf.....people respond!!

i know there are over the axle duals but theyre all priced at over $1000
Old 03-06-2004, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

got mine under the axle with a headman x pipe, total cost with parts and labor was 275 bucks. i dont have any fumes or ratels at all, I guess the guy did a pretty good job on the install. And to be honest, i didnt Have to have 12" bullits, and had i chossen something a little more tame the drone may not be so bad. I know the car is dirty, it rained and its a daily driver.

Old 03-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
got mine under the axle with a headman x pipe, total cost with parts and labor was 275 bucks. i dont have any fumes or ratels at all, I guess the guy did a pretty good job on the install. And to be honest, i didnt Have to have 12" bullits, and had i chossen something a little more tame the drone may not be so bad. I know the car is dirty, it rained and its a daily driver.

How are clearance issues? Is your car lowered? What about contact when the back end is up on a lift? Looks good to me, and that price... sweet!
Old 03-06-2004, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

I have no issues with drone,rasp,fumes, with my dual OR H pipe, LT's, bullets and dumps. Under the axle is the way to go if you want tips. I've built some like that before. Many more with just dumps though.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bill99hawk
How are clearance issues? Is your car lowered? What about contact when the back end is up on a lift? Looks good to me, and that price... sweet!
my car is lowered , with the pro-kit. I kept lifting problems in mind when i had them installed. So, they installed it on a lift with four arms instead of the drive up lift. That way they knew it would work out. As far as clearence goes, the collectors off the headers are still the lowest part of the whole system. There is no problems with the under axle portion.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
my car is lowered , with the pro-kit. I kept lifting problems in mind when i had them installed. So, they installed it on a lift with four arms instead of the drive up lift. That way they knew it would work out. As far as clearence goes, the collectors off the headers are still the lowest part of the whole system. There is no problems with the under axle portion.
I think this is a nice option. Do you have any more pictures? If so I would like to show them to some shops and get prices. Thanks!