Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear lid melted and warped

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

To my understanding MTI isn't even making the clear lids anymore.....wonder why?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My clear lid did about the same thing, I took a heat gun and heated up the area's that were warped and straighten it out and let it cool. It looks new again.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.......
Old 09-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clear lid looks sick, but if they melt down in 80° weather = junk.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

I might suggest to try annealing it to stress-relieve any stresses induced from the molding process. I work with plastic parts all day and see this happen constantly. We always have mold shops sending us their parts because they warp them adding too much heat to the material.

Im assuming the material is clear-pvc, cheap ****. If you got one made out of clear polycarbonate that never would have happened.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my clear lid for half of decade now and it's still in the same shape and form. Maybe they used different material when they made yours?
Old 09-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Tough Mudder

Mine is melted too. I was super disappointed. My car isn't stock, but I've got a BeCool radiator, 180F thermostat, and fans computer controlled to match. Heat has never been an issue. We had some 100F days here though. Guess the plastic couldn't take it.
I contacted Fast Toys directly. I was told that they are aware of the problem and discontinued the clear lids in April of 2010. The warranty is only 90 days. They now only offer the lids in black plastic.
They offered me a black lid "at a reduced price"
When I asked what the reduced price would be:
98mm lid: $129 shipped
104mm lid: $149 shipped.
What is that noise?
Then the person who didn't have the courage to sign his name to it said that in order to get this "reduced price", I'd have to produce my original receipt.
1: Where else would I have gotten it? Walmart?
2: Fast Toys doesn't keep records? I'm certain I didn't mail them cash. I bet there's a credit card statement SOMEWHERE that would work.
3: $149 is the "discount" price?Nonsense. Companies rely on reputation. A company that won't stand behind their product is garbage, especially when it's a KNOWN defect.
Oh, I forgot to mention that the "reduced price" is only good for 30 days. Guess I should hurry up and get a new one!

Last edited by Hilton; 09-19-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Removed profanity in an attempt to not get banned
Old 09-19-2011, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this defect is news to me
Old 09-19-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like they only want to give the reduced price to the original purchaser since they want a sales receipt. I understand a limited time warranty, but for a known manufacturing defect, substandard materials etc they should provide a newer design at 1/2 off at least to those affected. I assume they want repeat (happy) customers, there is only so much demand for f bod lids...
Old 09-20-2011, 03:08 PM
FormerVendor

Default Clear Lids - The Facts

The FTP clear lids were discontinued in April 2010. The last clear lids were sold in March 2010. That is 1 and 1/2 years ago as the best case. One of the customers complaining in this thread bought his lid in Sept 2009 (2 years ago!)

They were not discontinued because of any melting issues. We never had a lid melting problem reported until recently. The clear lids were discontinued because the plastic price skyrocketted and the plastic always came in with some scratches on it which meant polishing them out of the lid which consumed way too much time. It was impossible to make the clear lids perfectly clear since they were vacuumed formed and people complained about that too. The clear plastic is also not as resilient and easy to work with as the black plastic (that's the nature of clear plastics in general) . They would even get scratched during shipping no matter how well we packaged them and that drew complaints as well requiring new ones to be sent out. When a product is losing money like that, you have to discontinue it or dramatically raise the price. We chose to discontinue it.

Still, we get people all the time begging for us to make them again and we turn them down.

There are hundreds of clear lids out there on various vehicles and if this was a general problem, you would see it posted on here every day since people are so vocal about issues. Since this is not happening, it's likely the lid experienced some very high temperatures under your hood which resulted in the issue. It may have happened on one day or over time. All plastics have a certain temperature at which they will start to melt. You obviously hit that temperature.

Warranty on the FTP product was 90 days from date of original purchase. If you come back a year and a 6 months after we last sold one (best case scenario) and report a defect, sorry but we cannot help. If we check and see you are a good customer with us, we may offer you a discount on a replacement. We are not required to do this but we decide on a case by case basis.

All warranties on aftermarket performance parts are valid only to the original purchaser (receipt required). That is one of the advantages of buying a new product versus a used one. We see our products for sale all the time on the classified sections but we simply cannot warranty them. We've had people buy used products, break them and then ask us to warranty them even though years have gone by. If we don't, they come on here and bash our products every chance they get. It's a no win situation for us.

Thank you.

Last edited by Fast Toys Performance Parts; 09-21-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My clear lid is several years old & I don't have this problem. It has been so long I forgot where I ordered it. Just 1 more thing to worry about I guess.

Quick Reply: Clear lid melted and warped