Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: ????
Yes
66.67%
No
33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Relocate my battery? Yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:13 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LPE 403
This is a weight transfer mod....stay off the cheeseburgers for a week or two to offset the 2lb's of xtra cable
True, wich is why I was going to do it, but for me it wasn't worth the hassle
Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I thought about it on my Chevelle, but honestly just don't think the extra weight from the cable and the work is worth it.
You're forgetting I'm doing an amp too. So some of the cable will be offset by a shorter amp cable.

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Sounds like several good reasons to do it.

1/0 cable in NOT the size of a garden hose, that would be 4/0. 1/0 is the usual size to use when moving the battery to the rear. Using 1/0 wire actually exhibits less voltage drop from the trunk to the starter than the stock battery cables do. It really doesn't add as much weight as some might think. The 1/0 gauge wire only needs to get to the starter. From there to the alternator & front power center, 4 gauge is all that's ever needed.

Done correctly, this is a nice mod.
Is 4 gauge all the way from the alternator to the cutoff switch ok? That's a long wire.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

True, but I also didn't want to buy an expensive battery box and a gel cell battery.

My car doesn't transfer weight anyway, I've about given up on it
My launch videos are just silly flat.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
Is 4 gauge all the way from the alternator to the cutoff switch ok? That's a long wire.
If you're installing a cutoff switch, it goes in the trunk between the battery and the positive cable. It will effectively kill everything.

Most folks do this:

-Battery negative to a real good body point like a seat belt anchor bolt. Grind the paint down to raw metal.

-Battery positive to the starter.

-Positive from the starter to the alternator.

-Positive from the alternator to the front left under-hood power center.

-One extra ground strap from the under-hood body to the engine block.

If using a kill switch, it goes in the positive cable right where it comes from the battery.

You'll need proper crimped lugs on all cable ends. A thin coating of grease around where the copper goes into the lug and then a nice heat shrink over it keeps the connection fresh and corrosion free.

This mod is also good to feed the fuel pump relay a shorter distance rather than the stock skinny wire from the front of the car.

HUH, maybe I should offer my giant T&B adjustable crimp tool as a rental-like those guys with the lip roller do.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
If you're installing a cutoff switch, it goes in the trunk between the battery and the positive cable. It will effectively kill everything.

Most folks do this:

-Battery negative to a real good body point like a seat belt anchor bolt. Grind the paint down to raw metal.

-Battery positive to the starter.

-Positive from the starter to the alternator.

-Positive from the alternator to the front left under-hood power center.

-One extra ground strap from the under-hood body to the engine block.

If using a kill switch, it goes in the positive cable right where it comes from the battery.

You'll need proper crimped lugs on all cable ends. A thin coating of grease around where the copper goes into the lug and then a nice heat shrink over it keeps the connection fresh and corrosion free.

This mod is also good to feed the fuel pump relay a shorter distance rather than the stock skinny wire from the front of the car.

HUH, maybe I should offer my giant T&B adjustable crimp tool as a rental-like those guys with the lip roller do.

I thought you needed to go:

Wire 1:

Battery -> kill switch -> starter -> power center

Wire 2:

Alternator -> kill switch

Wire 3 and 4 are grounds, as you described.

(stolen from someone else's post):

Old 09-14-2011, 06:02 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

WOW NO. That diagram above will:

-Leave the alternator powered even when the kill switch is open.
-Make the alternator run it's juice all the way to the back of the car then via the starter back up front to power the car.
-You'd need to run a 4 gauge wire from front to rear.

The idea behind a kill/disconnect switch is to completely disconnect the battery from the rest of the car.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:20 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

This is what I'd do:

Old 09-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, better weight transfer
Old 09-14-2011, 06:34 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this about 15 years ago on my primary track car (that sees some weekend street duty). Since I was taking the car to the track often, I had already ditched the jack, tire iron, and spare. I therefore had the empty space to do it and the battery up front wasn't helping my launch/weight transfer, so I moved it. The weight of the plastic battery box is negligible and the extra cable may be a couple pounds. Well worth it to get that 33 lbs battery off the front where I don't need it and back over the right rear tire where I do need it.

However, I say worth it because it is the car I take to the track the most. On my "street only cars" I have done the lightweight battery thing a couple times over the years but haven't bothered to move any of their batteries to the rear.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

i vote no........just not worth it