Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiators Laid Flat????

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Radiators Laid Flat????

Ok, Ive been searching and searching and more searching. Google, tech, everywhere i can think of, Pirate 4x4 (harsh site, lol) all over the damn place.

Their is one thread on here in the corvette section, but its old and the OP ended up not going "flat"

Anyway, For what im looking to do, i need to either

A. Lay my radiator flat between the frame rails

Or

B. Not do what im wanting to do, which is not an option at this point.

Anyhow, I need to lay my radiator flat so that i can front mount my turbo forward and backwards. The front end of the RX7 is very narrow and will not leave any room for a radiator. maybe a very very slim one. And id even consider running two radiators to help if need be.

Anyhow, is their any data out their on it? Anyone done it? I cannot imagine it being any different then trail rigs (trec runners and such) that run at higher rpms for hours with the radiators behind seats or on the back of the cab.

I look at it like this, a cowl hood creates a vacuum and pulls air through the bottom and out the top, cool air from the bottom, maybe with a small air duct to help direct air up in conjunction with the a cowl, do you think it feasible to do the trick?

Lets look past the whole street driving thing for now, this is about if it will work or not.

Obviously a really good set of fans too.

Kyle
Old 09-22-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

some one already thought of this......think he did it.......jason i think is his name......he posts alot in the suspension section
Old 09-22-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...elocation.html
Old 09-22-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks man, im reading through it now.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

OK, the main difference here is that im talking Flat, completely flat.

i will not be able to do anywhere near the ducting that he did being that its down low, ill be able to do some that should help.

I think the the main thing that will help is creating heat extractors in the hood in a low pressure area, or simply using a cowl if it works out. Luckily their is a nice drawing on our forum showing the areodynamic flow over the car and showing pressure zones.

I may just have to get creative with cutting holes and adding vents or something to get it right.

I think im just gonna do it and go from their, itll be awhile till i have any results as im in the building stages of my car.

Quick Reply: Radiators Laid Flat????