Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are Hooker and TSP headers made?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where are Hooker and TSP headers made?

Hey guys,

I am looking into getting either a pair of stainless Comp Hooker headers or TSP's new 1 7/8 stainless headers. My question is not which one will make more power/fit better/etc., but where are these headers made? I am just trying to stay away from stuff made overseas, so if anyone has any reliable info about either of these headers, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Scott
Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Honestly, all the cheaper stuff we know is made overseas. However, there are some names that aren't so cheap, Kooks and ARH come to mind. I would hope their stuff is made here. Hooker has a pretty big window of prices. Their 1 7/8s stainless are right up there with some of the more expensive stuff, so it would be hard to guess.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean the TSP headers are made in China?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Since TSP is a sponsor here, I think it is most fitting for them to respond to that.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the headers would have to say the country of origin on them or the packaging, if they are from overseas --

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/tra...in_marking.xml
Old 09-27-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is a Good question! I'm thinking of getting a set myself but I want to know where they are made. i like made in USA considering far too many of us don't have a job anymore. Where are they made. Better Yet how about What headers are Made in the USA? Can anyone answer that?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
Better Yet how about What headers are Made in the USA? Can anyone answer that?
Kook's I believe are made in their North Carolina Shop. Im almost certain ARH is in the states as well.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm starting to think the lack of respons from texas speed means there made some where out side of the USA. but I still pan to buy them I can't afford $1000+ for a set of headers and can't see paying $400 for a set that will eventualy rust out.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fry_
I'm starting to think the lack of respons from texas speed means there made some where out side of the USA. but I still pan to buy them I can't afford $1000+ for a set of headers and can't see paying $400 for a set that will eventualy rust out.
I'm with you, Fry--I don't want to pay $400 for a set that will rust out, but hoping that I can find a good stainless American made set that isn't $900 dollars. I sent a PM to Matt@Texas Speed last night about the same time I posted this thread, so we will see if I get a response from him or not. Still, 1 7/8 stainless headers for $500 is a great price, but I would like to know where they are made.

If anyone has any info on Hooker headers, it would be much appreciated. Did a couple Google searches and I have found some people have commented on their Hooker's having MEXICO stamped on them, so it seems likely that they are made across the border somewhere.

Scott
Old 09-27-2011, 05:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the new Texas Speed stainless headers are made in China. Do they fit worse because of it? No. Do they make less power because of it? No. Do other "100% American Made" stainless headers get their tubing from over-seas? You bet they do. The difference is we're telling you up front and not lying about it.

Our headers fit as well now as they always have. When you buy a set you're putting food on the table and supporting not only the 15 employees we have here, but freight companies here in the states who ship them, the company who makes our boxes, the company who supplies our paper for packaging, etc. You keep the extra $400-600 you would have paid for a comparable "American Made" 1 7/8" primary header in your pocket, spend that however you like and you've pumped even more money back into the US economy!

We'll keep making and offering quality components at reasonable prices. If spending an extra $400-600 for a set of headers because they're "American made" makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, by all means! We sell those headers too!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Banned

who cares where there made? as long as you get a quality piece for the price you pay it should not matter who made them. Are you going to give a made in the USA product your money and get a shotty part instead of giving your money to a company who outsources there work but delivers a quality piece? if you are, then your dumb.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cookba
who cares where there made? as long as you get a quality piece for the price you pay it should not matter who made them. Are you going to give a made in the USA product your money and get a shotty part instead of giving your money to a company who outsources there work but delivers a quality piece? if you are, then your dumb.
This is the attitude that keeps Americans unemployed. All of the people that shop at Wal-Mart think the same way. I didn't see anybody knock their headers, just asked where they were made. You know what i was told here on this forum last week..... "get a thicker skin" ....don;t be so touchy.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Banned

yep i also shop at WalMart, and i am employed by the US Government and have served my country overseas. Where a product is made is irrelevant. The only relevant information is the quality, price and customer service. I never knocked anyone's headers i simply stated American made does not mean best made. We can keep the reasons why Americans are unemployed to a different thread.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

Originally Posted by cookba
yep i also shop at WalMart, and i am employed by the US Government and have served my country overseas. Where a product is made is irrelevant. The only relevant information is the quality, price and customer service. I never knocked anyone's headers i simply stated American made does not mean best made. We can keep the reasons why Americans are unemployed to a different thread.
OK I got ya lol
Old 09-27-2011, 09:03 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I had been to the Kooks shop when they were up here in NY. They certainly do manufacture products from raw straight pipe. And I personally knew George Kook in the 80's. ARH is also a NY shop that manufactures here.

One of the reasons our economy is in the toilet is that we allowed so many manufacturing jobs go overseas. We are becoming a nation of consumers, not producers. When I can, I prefer to buy US made goods. If buying a Asian made import helps 15 people, imagine how many it'd help if it was made here?

The real bottom line is we have almost no duties on imported products. Most, if not all, other countries have steep import duties. If we had that, there'd be more manufacturing retained and healthy US economy. And we'd all be doing better.

Rant over.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

we should not be buying headers from china..........when there are so many Mexicans who are starving and need work ..........and can make them just as good as the Chinese
Old 09-27-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure tsp makes a nice penny to pay its employees off each header they sell. I'll take that other 500$ and blow it going out to eat at American restaurants, going to American movie theaters, etc..

It is my next purchase.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Yes, the new Texas Speed stainless headers are made in China. Do they fit worse because of it? No. Do they make less power because of it? No. Do other "100% American Made" stainless headers get their tubing from over-seas? You bet they do. The difference is we're telling you up front and not lying about it.

Our headers fit as well now as they always have. When you buy a set you're putting food on the table and supporting not only the 15 employees we have here, but freight companies here in the states who ship them, the company who makes our boxes, the company who supplies our paper for packaging, etc. You keep the extra $400-600 you would have paid for a comparable "American Made" 1 7/8" primary header in your pocket, spend that however you like and you've pumped even more money back into the US economy!

We'll keep making and offering quality components at reasonable prices. If spending an extra $400-600 for a set of headers because they're "American made" makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, by all means! We sell those headers too!

Thank you Matt for being up front and honest with us. It is stuff like this that makes you all an asset to the board! Now, I've got a decision to make...
Old 09-27-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed

This is wayyy of topic and you may not be comfortable asnwering, but I've always been curious about something.
For a company like Texas Speed that sells it's own brand of headers as well as other company's, which is more cost effective/profitable from a company standpoint?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

This thread went way off topic (actually the topic itself is off topic), but it sure was a good read. I had my heart set on ARH LTs, but I just now am considering the TSP ones. I like the idea of supporting American manufacturing and fabricating tho. I would like to see that kind of skilled labor encouraged by we consumers as a whole.

Quick Reply: Where are Hooker and TSP headers made?