Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 03:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I don't doubt independent research, however, Flowmaster makes a LOT of mufflers. Without specifying exactly which muffler you are talking about and what application the test was performed on, you have done no justice.
Good point, I thought the same about some of the compiled flow rate data I've seen posted up before. None of it states the inlet/outlet locations on the mufflers they used, at least that I'm aware of.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Flowmaster cat-back on my old 95 Formula. It sounded amazing.

I have a cutout with the stock muffler on my 99 Trans Am, but if the stock muffler ever rusts out or if I need to replace it whatever reason, it will be the Flowmaster just for the sound. Can always open cutout for max performance.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Hey darkvader, do you mind posting a sound clip of your cutout? I am thinking about getting one.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arock24
I love my 40 series flowmaster, but then again I did not have the privilege of being able to go with LT's. I live in a zip code with very strict emissions and I don't know anybody to just slap on a sticker on my windshield. I had to go with ST Pacesetters, and I love the combo with my Flowmaster, and I get compliments all the time. If you're sticking with manifolds for now, no reason to spend extra money.
Given your location, all you have to pass is a computer test. A tune and you are golden.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Given your location, all you have to pass is a computer test. A tune and you are golden.
Specific location is in Saint Charles, MO. I was told by several shops that a LT/Cat/tune setup would still fail emissions in Saint Charles county...any truth to that?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

go with the Texas speed rumbler. I just got one and love it, deeper sounding than the lm1 and it screams WOT. Just be careful if you decide to get a new y pipe, spend the money on high flow cats unless you can put up with a little rasp.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

i think the flowmaster muffler is fine. i think it sounds good until the manifolds are replaced with long tubes, then it is too loud and raspy. i have an ory and 80 series welded into the stock muffler location. it sounds good, but 2-3k rpm sounds terrible.

whoever said the 80 series flows worse than stock, here is some food for thought: the car trapped 88 in the 1/8 with a lid and that muffler. full weight 99 m6 car. i highly doubt it would go faster with the stock muffler. i added the ory and it actually slowed the car down. it doesn't 1/8 mph like it did before, but it backhalfs better and still traps almost the exact same 1/4wise.

my only complaint about the muffler is that it's too loud and raspy with long tubes and mine (after 6 years, 65k miles) is falling apart.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
i think the flowmaster muffler is fine. i think it sounds good until the manifolds are replaced with long tubes, then it is too loud and raspy. i have an ory and 80 series welded into the stock muffler location. it sounds good, but 2-3k rpm sounds terrible.

whoever said the 80 series flows worse than stock, here is some food for thought: the car trapped 88 in the 1/8 with a lid and that muffler. full weight 99 m6 car. i highly doubt it would go faster with the stock muffler. i added the ory and it actually slowed the car down. it doesn't 1/8 mph like it did before, but it backhalfs better and still traps almost the exact same 1/4wise.

my only complaint about the muffler is that it's too loud and raspy with long tubes and mine (after 6 years, 65k miles) is falling apart.
Agreed!! Flowmaster is not as bad as teh internet makes it out to be. I agree with longtubes it gets raspy between 2-3k. My best time is 12.2 w/ slp lid, ported tb, 1.85 rockers, hooker lt's, stock stall, flowmaster cb, 3.73's and 315-35-17 toyo tq dr's. Only reason Im changing it is because of rasp and my hooker lt's are rusted bad. So full kooks header/true dual exhaust setup is on order.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

I think we are missing the mark here. The Flowmaster is an improvement over stock. It is however, the most restrictive of the aftermarket crossflow options. Therefore, for the same money you can do beeter in the flow department. As you add more mods you will not choke as much horsepower with other cat-backs. Sound is personal preference.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

I bought my car with flowmasters on it and I love the way it sounds but I dont notice any difference from stock at all. Dyno'd 313 with them on which leaves a little to be desired.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flowman
First - I will let you know I am the VP of marketing for Flowmaster - just to be honest going into this discussion. I'm not going to lay a bunch of PR on you. But a flowbench test on mufflers has NO relationship to performance. Only a dyno can determine power. Two points to consider - a flowbench measures constant flow air at room temperature. Exhaust, last time I checked, is hot air and flows as a pulse by virtue of the four cycle engine combustion. A chambered muffler works to draw the exhaust through the system - scavenging the exhaust, not inhibiting it. In recent tests (one month ago) at Westech Performance - with unbiased testing - our mufflers performed better than open exhaust and other "open - see right through it" mufflers. I welcome your independent testing.
Bull ****. Show me a test where a chambered (I'm talking a 40 or 80 series) out flowed a bullet style muffler. Impossible, period.
I understand all about scavenging effects of exhaust, the way the merge/muffler and everything works together.

Why then do all the cars for all out performance run a bullet style muffler instead of a chambered muffler.

I have seen plenty of dynos on both side.

With that said... Stop lumping Flowmaster mufflers together like there is only one. A 1 chamber race muffler will outflow 90% of the mufflers being discussed any day of the week.
An 80 series and a 1 chamber are COMPLETELY different mufflers in all aspects.
You can't just say, "Flowmaster mufflers suck for performance".
Old 10-05-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

i think the muffler sounded way better when the car had cats on it. adding an ory made the car obnoxious.

i am, however, doing my duty to make the car loud. the manifolds and 80 series are coming off for a set of tsp 1 7/8" long tubes and a 3.5" dynatech split flow bullet, ran over the axle, Yd and out the back (dual 3"). that should be...really obnoxious. i am curious what it will sound like going out the back. we shall see.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by arock24
Specific location is in Saint Charles, MO. I was told by several shops that a LT/Cat/tune setup would still fail emissions in Saint Charles county...any truth to that?
Where did you go? Im in the same area and running LT's, ORY, and a cutout and have no issues passing. They don't do the sniffer test around here, they just plug into your computer, so as long as your tuned you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Default Love the flowmaster

My first Camaro had an 80 series with PaceSetter LT's and no cat...Sounded absolutely beefy!! I had no rasp/// 3" all the way..

I just bought another camaro and I wanted the FM sound but I dont like the crossflow design (even though I have never seen dyno results to back that debate) I went with a Super 44 3" inlet dual 2.5" same side exit (most aggressive sounding 2 chamber) their is a sticky where you can place it like a 80 series and buy some wrap around piping for the dual look.... once I got it under there, I realized you could mount reversed with the inlet twoards the front of the car and and the duals out the back into CME...... The Super 44 sounds BA!! PM me if you want the link to the design of a 2 chamber FM set up..........

Quick Reply: How bad is flowmaster?