Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual mufflers before the bumper vs after Xpipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dual mufflers before the bumper vs after Xpipe

Earlier this year, I had an Xpipe with dual SLP Loudmouth II mufflers flanged, with flanged pipe to the rear bumper into Corsa clone tips, so I could choose to run dumps or pipes out the back. Now that I have a Moser 9" in my car and soon a larger driveshaft, I am going to be redoing my exhaust because it's a very tight fit with the pipes out the back.

I am thinking of redoing all the pipe over the axle and putting the mufflers at the bumper right before the tips, versus my current configuration with mufflers under the backseats.

Does anyone have a before and after comparison moving mufflers to the bumper? In general, how will it affect the sound?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I seen both. The dual mufflers after the axle is louder, than before.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, if you have the mufflers after the axle, I've seen it where you have to crush one side of the gas tank to make it fit.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NVUSZ28
Also, if you have the mufflers after the axle, I've seen it where you have to crush one side of the gas tank to make it fit.
That's not the gas tank...that's the t-top storage well/trunk/whatever the hell you want to call that storage area.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Well. Loudmouth II mufflers look like they should fit quite well in there. I think I'm going to run the pipes over the axle. I'm currently running 3" pipe all the way back, but the inside of the LM2s are like 2-2.5" This time I may run 2.5" from the X.

I know Corvettes and new Camaros have the muffler at the bumper, I think that is a big attribute how they're tone sounds "cleaner" with less rasp and stuff.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

You can easily fit 4" round mufflers back there (since that's what mine are)...I'm actually seriously considering another iteration of my current exhaust, this time done in stainless, and I'm seriously considering trying to tuck some 6.25" round Borlas back there in that same spot. The frame rails right above it might make things a bit tight, but I think it could be done without having the mufflers hang ridiculously low.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree, it's a very nice spot, almost as if it was meant for mufflers there.

Isn't it funny, how exhaust can be changed 100 times and you're still never satisfied with it? At least that's how I am
Old 09-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I've not considered doing mine over until recently - the first go around was done in aluminized steel, and I wish I would have had the money to do stainless at the time. I'd also like to try some larger mufflers to try and tone it down some, and I'm seriously considering using a Burns Stainless x-pipe since their merges look to be some of the best out there.

Will it be worth it in the end? Probably not from a power standpoint, but I'd still like to give it one more go to get it "right".
Old 09-28-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
That's not the gas tank...that's the t-top storage well/trunk/whatever the hell you want to call that storage area.
You're right, I've been up for to long...

Quick Reply: Dual mufflers before the bumper vs after Xpipe