Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

texas speed header fitment and install

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wont fit straight up you have to cut the I-pipe + the passenger side header and the cat is very tight it wont slide in very poor quality control in China.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ws.sik
Kooks is better quality and fitment hands down better true duals too with great fitment and easy install

Word....Although if back to back dyno's were done between the two and the TSP's came out ahead I'd get them when I switch to 1 7/8. I admit I'd be a little surprised if the Kooks lost though.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dynos are hard to tell what has better hp and tq a dynos will throw different numbers if the car is tightened down more than the other. Dynos are a tuning device not how much hp and tq you have.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Launching!

So I scanned this thread and I see a lot of negative comments about their new LT's and ORY. What's the deal TSP? Why is it so hard to fab up a quality ORY that fits good? I would think a big named company like yourself would put out a quality product rather than a **** one.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Dynos are hard to tell what has better hp and tq a dynos will throw different numbers if the car is tightened down more than the other. Dynos are a tuning device not how much hp and tq you have.

They use an Engine dynamometer (engine out of the car) for there testing. There would be no change in variables with the exception of the headers on back to back runs.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGDRAGON
It wont fit straight up you have to cut the I-pipe + the passenger side header and the cat is very tight it wont slide in very poor quality control in China.
I wonder if the tsp headers and y-pipe are made in china? Kooks are made 100% in the u.s.a.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Well I rented a car transport from U-haul and took the car to Richs Muffler shop in Wylie,Tx so they can make the TSP catted ORY work in my car.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Banned

Transws6am how does your headers and exhaust fit and clearance?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BIGDRAGON
Well I rented a car transport from U-haul and took the car to Richs Muffler shop in Wylie,Tx so they can make the TSP catted ORY work in my car.

That's sucks, i'd be pissed.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:03 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by GoFastKid
So I scanned this thread and I see a lot of negative comments about their new LT's and ORY. What's the deal TSP? Why is it so hard to fab up a quality ORY that fits good? I would think a big named company like yourself would put out a quality product rather than a **** one.
If you search any y pipe made from any company you'll find people bitching that it doesn't fit right. In 14 years of this car being out EVERY SINGLE y pipe gets complaints.

We install our systems here without any issues, but there are customers that have a hard time putting it all together. By going with multiple pieces we leave the Y pipe more adjustable. The idea of being more adjustable is the customer can carefully adjust & fit the Y prior to clamping & assembly. After the cars been out 14 years there's a lot of variables that come into play. So do you build a Y pipe for a stock I, a 3" I, a I pipe that has a muffler welded in, a aftermarket I pipe, a 2.5" I pipe, a car with new motor mounts, a car with old motor mounts.... The list goes on & on... As a result we decided to build a Y pipe that is in multiple parts so it can be adjusted for each application.

If you don't want a Y pipe that is as adjustable buy the pacesetter, it leaves less room for adjustment. We keep our header exit locations very similar to pacesetter so you can have your choice of Y pipe.

To answer your questions I would 1000 percent be happy to build a y pipe that everyone thought worked perfectly, but in 14 years nobody in the entire world has been able to produce a Y pipe that everyone thinks fits correctly.

If someone gives me a Y pipe & said make it exactly like this & it will fit every time I would build hundreds of them RIGHT NOW. The reality is nobody in 14 years has built a Y pipe that hasn't been bashed on ls1tech for fitment issues.

I built a y pipe that is very adjustable & priced at a unbelievably good price, and because it's a good part at a good price I get people bashing me because it must be "Chinese junk." What a bunch of crap. If you ask me charging $1000 for headers is a bunch of crap... We use thick flanges, thick high quality 304 stainless & offer it at a price that smashes the competition.

If you guys would feel better about it I can raise the price to $1000 for headers & y pipe.... So Shoot me for building a product for a reasonable price....

As far as the headers are concerned we've sold thousands of sets with almost no fitment issues at all. The headers are proven performers every time. You can unbolt the tranny cross-member and slide it over slightly & move the header into place without removing any motor mounts.

If for some reason you guys want to run a different y pipe other than the TSP Y pipe, we still sell many other brands.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 10-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Launching!

In my case I have an 02 Camaro SS with a 5.7litter the TSP Catted Y-pipe will not fit directly no matter what or how it has to cut in several places,is not a direct bolt on.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
If you search any y pipe made from any company you'll find people bitching that it doesn't fit right. In 14 years of this car being out EVERY SINGLE y pipe gets complaints.

We install our systems here without any issues, but there are customers that have a hard time putting it all together. By going with multiple pieces we leave the Y pipe more adjustable. The idea of being more adjustable is the customer can carefully adjust & fit the Y prior to clamping & assembly. After the cars been out 14 years there's a lot of variables that come into play. So do you build a Y pipe for a stock I, a 3" I, a I pipe that has a muffler welded in, a aftermarket I pipe, a 2.5" I pipe, a car with new motor mounts, a car with old motor mounts.... The list goes on & on... As a result we decided to build a Y pipe that is in multiple parts so it can be adjusted for each application.

If you don't want a Y pipe that is as adjustable buy the pacesetter, it leaves less room for adjustment. We keep our header exit locations very similar to pacesetter so you can have your choice of Y pipe.

To answer your questions I would 1000 percent be happy to build a y pipe that everyone thought worked perfectly, but in 14 years nobody in the entire world has been able to produce a Y pipe that everyone thinks fits correctly.

If someone gives me a Y pipe & said make it exactly like this & it will fit every time I would build hundreds of them RIGHT NOW. The reality is nobody in 14 years has built a Y pipe that hasn't been bashed on ls1tech for fitment issues.

I built a y pipe that is very adjustable & priced at a unbelievably good price, and because it's a good part at a good price I get people bashing me because it must be "Chinese junk." What a bunch of crap. If you ask me charging $1000 for headers is a bunch of crap... We use thick flanges, thick high quality 304 stainless & offer it at a price that smashes the competition.

If you guys would feel better about it I can raise the price to $1000 for headers & y pipe.... So Shoot me for building a product for a reasonable price....

As far as the headers are concerned we've sold thousands of sets with almost no fitment issues at all. The headers are proven performers every time. You can unbolt the tranny cross-member and slide it over slightly & move the header into place without removing any motor mounts.

If for some reason you guys want to run a different y pipe other than the TSP Y pipe, we still sell many other brands.
Again...... $1000? Try $750 with FREE shipping! **** byunspeed has kooks 1 7/8 for $795 with FREE shipping right now!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Transws6am how does your headers and exhaust fit and clearance?
They fit great man! I couldn't be happier.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Launching!

These have been copied and pasted directly from TSPs' and Byunspeeds' websites, but simple math can show you where they keep getting the $1000...

BYUNSPEED WEBSITE:
Kooks Long Tube Headers, Stainless Steel, 1-7/8" x 3" (1998-2002 Camaro & Firebird LS1)$796.46
Kooks Y-Pipe, Stainless Steel, 3" Inlets, 2-3/4" Outlet (1998-2002 Camaro & Firebird LS1)** $327.33
TOTAL: $1123.79 (shipping??)
**Cheapest kooks y-pipe on the page

TEXAS SPEED AND PERFORMANCE WEBSITE:
Texas Speed & Performance 1-7/8" Long Tube Headers $499.99
Texas Speed 3" Off-Road Y-pipe $129.99

TOTAL: $629.98 + Shipping

Assuming both companies ship the headers and y via ground, and TSP charges (worst case scenario) $150.00 for shipping, and Byunspeed has free shipping, by going with TSPs Brand you are still saving $343.80...

Personally, I have had TSP 1 7/8" headers on one of my cars with their y-pipe, and pacesetter headers on another car of mine also with a TSP y-pipe. I had zero problems with either (no need to cut anything or pull motor mounts, etc.) Im definitely not lucky, not mechanically inclined, and nor do I have a phd, but I was 100% satisfied with my products and customer service.

Im not saying anything bad about any header or y-pipe, but I have helped a few friends that had "fitment issues" with all different brands of headers (Kooks, TSP, Flowtech, Hooker, Pacesetter, etc...), when come to find out it just needed a second pair of eyes and small adjustments to find the correct fitment.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Banned

You cant brag about your car if you dont install the parts your self, you wont be as proud of it.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You cant brag about your car if you dont install the parts your self, you wont be as proud of it.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Launching!

If this post was directed at me, I did install all of my own parts myself.

My whole point, was that I am in no way the best "mechanic" so to speak, but I had no trouble getting my set of tsp headers and y to fit, and have seen several other fellow f-bodys running around locally with the same exact setup which have had zero complaints themselves.

Everyone runs into a snag at some point, but instead of hopping online bashing someones product (which HAS shown to work fine for many others) first thing before taking the time to figure it out, maybe try and give the company a call first(this applies for all companys and products), before trying to give them a bad rep online. They didnt purposly design and sell you a product that wont work in your application, so Im sure they will be happy to help/answer your questions to get you going...
Old 10-11-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't mind him; He can't even get into a R movie by himself yet.

It's been a few years, but aside from having to massage the firewall a little bit, I don't think I had a problem getting my Pacesetters in. Didn't do the motor mounts at the time, but I'll be changing them out eventually. I cheaped out back then, though. I'm glad TSP now offers a 304 7/8" LT, for around 500 bucks. I'll be picking up a set soon. Thanks again, Jason & company.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Launching!

I install the TSP headers and did the poly MM's without any issues and they look great,but Like I state it several times the catted Y-pipe would not fit directly unless some cutting and modifying were done. I'm not bashing TSP I know the rule "you get what you pay for" I took the car to a respectable muffler shop so they can install it on a lift and make the neccessary cuts to make this thing fit properly. Sure I would loved to install it myself but I didn't wanna cut or weld and make it look like sh_t and have leaks.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wzup1000
These have been copied and pasted directly from TSPs' and Byunspeeds' websites, but simple math can show you where they keep getting the $1000...

BYUNSPEED WEBSITE:
Kooks Long Tube Headers, Stainless Steel, 1-7/8" x 3" (1998-2002 Camaro & Firebird LS1)$796.46
Kooks Y-Pipe, Stainless Steel, 3" Inlets, 2-3/4" Outlet (1998-2002 Camaro & Firebird LS1)** $327.33
TOTAL: $1123.79 (shipping??)
**Cheapest kooks y-pipe on the page

TEXAS SPEED AND PERFORMANCE WEBSITE:
Texas Speed & Performance 1-7/8" Long Tube Headers $499.99
Texas Speed 3" Off-Road Y-pipe $129.99

TOTAL: $629.98 + Shipping

Assuming both companies ship the headers and y via ground, and TSP charges (worst case scenario) $150.00 for shipping, and Byunspeed has free shipping, by going with TSPs Brand you are still saving $343.80...

Personally, I have had TSP 1 7/8" headers on one of my cars with their y-pipe, and pacesetter headers on another car of mine also with a TSP y-pipe. I had zero problems with either (no need to cut anything or pull motor mounts, etc.) Im definitely not lucky, not mechanically inclined, and nor do I have a phd, but I was 100% satisfied with my products and customer service.

Im not saying anything bad about any header or y-pipe, but I have helped a few friends that had "fitment issues" with all different brands of headers (Kooks, TSP, Flowtech, Hooker, Pacesetter, etc...), when come to find out it just needed a second pair of eyes and small adjustments to find the correct fitment.
Finally a voice of reason in this thread.

Seriously, I bought used Kooks headers while waiting months for TSP to stock their new LT's. While I like the product, I cannot say that I'd spend the extra money on a new set of Kooks vs. the TSP new LT's. It's hard to comprehend the amount of bitching going on in here regarding a QUALITY stainless header at a fraction of the cost of the competition. Every exhaust install is different on every car. Search these forums and you will find horror stories regarding kooks installs also. Spend twice the money on the kooks and still have fitment issues? Imagine the flaming that'd occur there, lol!!!

Bottom line is, TSP is a quality sponsor here with a solid reputation. Why is everyone coming in here bashing their stuff when one guy is having some fitment issues?

Quick Reply: texas speed header fitment and install