Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best inexpensive long tubes for 2002 Z/28???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nastyiroc
Where did you get them from? Why does everyone want the TSP y, I looks like it would fit worse than the pacesetter y because of all the useless exhaust clamps......
PM Sent
Old 10-14-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get them from? Why does everyone want the TSP y, I looks like it would fit worse than the pacesetter y because of all the useless exhaust clamps......
I think I remember reading about how the TSP merge is way better than the pacesetter merge.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm really thinking pacesetter coated.... Any negative aspects to this? Please step in.
they will rust out over time...stainless is win.
Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
^ Ya there not 1 7/8th's, thats about it. I'd definitely get coated Pacesetter's with TSP's Y if your just wanting something cheap.
there not 1 7/8 nor are they STAINLESS
Originally Posted by Ronny_02_WS6
I just pulled the trigger on Pacesetter coated and Pacesetter 3" ORY. $510 w/ free shipping! I believe is a good deal!
Not bad but you could of got 1 7/8 stainless and tsp y for maybe a 100.00 or so more. the pacesetter y will be full of rasp on a ls1.

Fellas...Listen to guys that have had experience with different sets of header, not folks opinions based on no factual information. The bottom line is coated steel headers are waste of time for anybody that drives thier car more than twice a year. I have had bbk, pacesetter, and hooker lt's in the past. Only putting maybe 2k miles a year max on my cars, the coated headers started to rust within a couple seasons. Your front tires will kick up rocks and road debris that will chip all the coating off the collectors...then the rust starts. This is why all fasctory vehicles come with cast iron manifolds w/ stainless exhaust systems. Again, buy a quality set of stainless headers once and never buy headers again. The price is down enough to where it's a no brainer imo. Tsp has stainless 1 7/8 for 530.00 shipped, speedtweakerz has stainless 1 3/4 hooker for 539.00 shipped, and a vendor on this site is selling kooks stainless for around 700-750.00 shipped
Old 10-14-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1

Not bad but you could of got 1 7/8 stainless and tsp y for maybe a 100.00 or so more. the pacesetter y will be full of rasp on a ls1.

Fellas...Listen to guys that have had experience with different sets of header, not folks opinions based on no factual information. The bottom line is coated steel headers are waste of time for anybody that drives thier car more than twice a year. I have had bbk, pacesetter, and hooker lt's in the past. Only putting maybe 2k miles a year max on my cars, the coated headers started to rust within a couple seasons. Your front tires will kick up rocks and road debris that will chip all the coating off the collectors...then the rust starts. This is why all fasctory vehicles come with cast iron manifolds w/ stainless exhaust systems. Again, buy a quality set of stainless headers once and never buy headers again. The price is down enough to where it's a no brainer imo. Tsp has stainless 1 7/8 for 530.00 shipped, speedtweakerz has stainless 1 3/4 hooker for 539.00 shipped, and a vendor on this site is selling kooks stainless for around 700-750.00 shipped
I agree but my budget was $500 plus I drive my car like 3 miles a day. I saved the extra money for the exhaust, do you think the rasp can be gone with a Flowmaster merge, I also have a new thread about my exhaust set up and if would rasp.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ronny_02_WS6
I agree but my budget was $500 plus I drive my car like 3 miles a day. I saved the extra money for the exhaust, do you think the rasp can be gone with a Flowmaster merge, I also have a new thread about my exhaust set up and if would rasp.
yep the flowmaster merge is what you want!!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That tsp y pipe looks so cheap with all the exhaust clamps.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

i'm not sure i'd discount a company because of their clamps? just throwin my opinion out there, i mean, not saying they are, but what if they made the most amazing titanium y merge on the market (yes i said titanium) but, their clamps sucked? not tryin to "dogg" ya iroc, but, IMO, as long as it doesnt leak, clamps are just clamps, and working aviation for the past 11 yrs, really you can make just about any clamp leak as long as it's installed properly (and yes, there are proper ways to install certain clamps, torques, techniques, blah blah blah. either way, i look forward to buying a TSP Headers back setup here in the near future, soooo long story short. . . . .

+1 for TSP
Old 10-14-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

That tsp y pipe looks so cheap with all the exhaust clamps.
but it flows and sounds better than the pacesetter y...which is what matters most. Some quality band clamps w/ some ultra copper permatex and it wont make a difference how many clamps there are. The reason tsp does that is for a better fit.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but it flows and sounds better than the pacesetter y...which is what matters most. Some quality band clamps w/ some ultra copper permatex and it wont make a difference how many clamps there are. The reason tsp does that is for a better fit.
Does anyone in this thread have any bad stories for pacesetter? Cause if not im buying those.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the coated Pacesetters. After three years ok but not a daily driver. I will be upgrading the TSP ones when I do heads though.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Should I just do BBK then for better coating? Will the 2.5 really hurt my performance that much?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent seen anyone really use them on anything radical, everyone else has numbers on par with other headers
Old 10-16-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
I havent seen anyone really use them on anything radical, everyone else has numbers on par with other headers
So your saying yes or no on the bbk?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BBK it is
Old 10-25-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PACKERSz28Camaro
My OBX stainless headers/y-pipe kit went on with absolutely no issues whatsoever.
same here
Old 10-26-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't want any hitting or rattling issues what so ever
Old 10-26-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't want any hitting or rattling issues what so ever
Upgrade your motor mounts when you do the headers then.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Upgrade your motor mounts when you do the headers then.
Yes, definitely do poly motor mounts when doing Lt headers.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

I went with the TSP 1 7/8" here recently, relatively easy install and good quality IMO. Noticeable power gains even though it's still untuned and sure made it sound better. TSP has my vote!

C.

P.S. I have pictures if you'd like them.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LunarWillow
I have had the chrome BBK's and ORY for a few months now. Fit is second to none (no notching, no rattles or rubbing, no steering shaft removal... hands down the easiest headers I've ever installed), chrome still looks brand new, sound is damn near perfect, and the ORY tucks up nice and neat, I have yet to find a single speed bump to scrape. HIGHLY recommended, especially when you get both the headers/ory for less than $400.
was there any droning or rasp with the bbk LT o/r Y ?