Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace map sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to replace map sensor

Hi
My 2000 trans am is running very rough and threw a code p0108 map sensor. Any one can give a step by step procedure on replacing it. It's in back of the intake manifold and I don't see it.
Thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a picture of the sensor. The plug is not plugged into it in this picture. You would just have to reach back there and unplug the plug, then pull it out of its hole. Then push the new one in and plug it back in. Easier said than done if you've never actually laid your eyes on the stuff behind the intake.

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/image_en_us/gif...383/383112.gif

The picture below shows the MAP sensor circled.

Attached Thumbnails How to replace map sensor-back..engine.2.gif  

Last edited by LS6427; 10-11-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Thank you. I'll try tomorow
Old 10-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Banned

And don't break your oil sending sensor.....its the tall cylindrical looking piece in the picture closer to the drivers side. They break easy.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey. I hate to break it to you, but your going to want to pull off your intake to work on it. But first I would make sure you know what that code means... Are you sure it needs to be replaced??

If it does... Id pull the intake. Theres too much else going on, and too little room. Chances of you breaking the little tab into the intake and having to pull it anyways is really high. If you dont pull the MAP straight up the little nipple will break and you wont be able to put the new one in. Most times it breaks anyways.

IMHO, you should pull the intake.

Steps:
- remove lid & bellows
- you can either disconnect the fuel rails from the intake and leave them attached to the lines OR remove the fuel lines from the rails and leave the rails attached to the intake.
-disconnect all sensors related to the intake, open the clips holding the engine harness to the fuel rails
-remove any vent lines that are attached to the intake.
-loosen all of the 8mm bolts on the intake, you will have to tape the back bolts ones up to be able to get the intake out.
- as you pull the intake forward slowly it will allow you to get to the back to unplug all of the lines. There is a big hose (with a clasp), little hose (that slides off), and map sensor plug directly on the back of the intake.

** you may have a couple more steps depending on how much emissions crap you have on there.

******When installing the intake DONT OVER TORQUE THE INTAKE BOLTS!!

more info: www.ls1howto.com

Good luck
Old 10-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Launching!

My car suddenly started running really rough and code p0108 come one. It's parked a few blockes from my home and I'm trying to fix it. I already changed the maf. Will try the map tomorrow. Trying to avoid towing to mechanic.

I'll try to be careful. Pulling the intake is above my mechanical ability.

You got me scared now maybe I should tow to a mechanic?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
Hey. I hate to break it to you, but your going to want to pull off your intake to work on it. But first I would make sure you know what that code means... Are you sure it needs to be replaced??

If it does... Id pull the intake. Theres too much else going on, and too little room. Chances of you breaking the little tab into the intake and having to pull it anyways is really high. If you dont pull the MAP straight up the little nipple will break and you wont be able to put the new one in. Most times it breaks anyways.

IMHO, you should pull the intake.

Steps:
- remove lid & bellows
- you can either disconnect the fuel rails from the intake and leave them attached to the lines OR remove the fuel lines from the rails and leave the rails attached to the intake.
-disconnect all sensors related to the intake, open the clips holding the engine harness to the fuel rails
-remove any vent lines that are attached to the intake.
-loosen all of the 8mm bolts on the intake, you will have to tape the back bolts ones up to be able to get the intake out.
- as you pull the intake forward slowly it will allow you to get to the back to unplug all of the lines. There is a big hose (with a clasp), little hose (that slides off), and map sensor plug directly on the back of the intake.

** you may have a couple more steps depending on how much emissions crap you have on there.

******When installing the intake DONT OVER TORQUE THE INTAKE BOLTS!!

more info: www.ls1howto.com

Good luck
If he goes that route....or if he lets a mechanic take the intake off......better not just pull the intake "slowly" forward....the oil sender will break. Gotta lift the intake straight up so the brake booster hose clears the top of the oil sender...then pull it forward.

I'd reach back there and do it without touching the intake. My A/C vent vacuum line falls off sometimes and that thing is UNDER the MAP sensor..and I get that thing back on in 5 seconds.

"rxrom"
I suggest that if you do bring it to a mechanic, make sure YOU explain to him that its easy to break the oil sender and that you expect him to remove the intake properly without breaking it. Its tricky putting the intake back into place to without snapping it off. Just make it clear to him so if he breaks it....he pays for a new one. Make sure you mention that your oil pressure readings on the gauge are good and normal.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rxrom
My car suddenly started running really rough and code p0108 come one.
Might just need to also unplug the MAP sensor and plug it back in....sometimes that works on allot of sensors allot of times.

BTW...where do you live?

Old 10-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Launching!

I'm in staten island ny
Old 10-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rxrom
I'm in staten island ny
Long shot...if you were down here I'd do it for you.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Thanks
I appreciate the thought

I'll be careful and try tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Tryed to get to the map sensor. Couldn't even get my arm near it. I have skinny arms. Does anything have to be moved or removed to get to it (besides the intake)
Old 10-12-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its super cramped back there. nothing else really needs to be removed... there are just wires around it...

Heres what it looks like complete...
Name:  P1030773.jpg
Views: 7711
Size:  136.3 KB

Prewires...
Name:  P1030723.jpg
Views: 7548
Size:  129.6 KB

Name:  P1030718.jpg
Views: 11372
Size:  137.2 KB
Old 10-12-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh and just fair warning, the intake isnt all that strong... i cant say i havent seen that back part broken off. So if you are able to get back there, dont just pry on that bad boy.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
If he goes that route....or if he lets a mechanic take the intake off......better not just pull the intake "slowly" forward....the oil sender will break. Gotta lift the intake straight up so the brake booster hose clears the top of the oil sender...then pull it forward.
You HAVE TO lift the intake to pull it forward... it sits in the holes for the intake bolts to go down. so simply pulling it forward wouldnt do anything... Im simply saying he will feel it snag on the oil sending unit if he slowly pulls it forward. maybe i should have used the word "gently". lol

And theres a big difference between pulling the MAP and sliding the little hose back on in that small of a space.

OP, good luck! You can do it! Even if you break the sending unit, its super easy to replace with the intake off! i believe its 20-30 bucks.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

good info above. The hardest part is getting the intake up and out. The bolts in the back cannot be taken completely out while the intake is in car. You will need to hold them and watch for the oil sending unit and make sure the bb hose doesn't get caught on it. Once you have that its very easy. good luck!
Old 10-12-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not as hard as everyone seems to think it is. I changed mine this summer and it wasn't that hard, reach your arm in (becareful of the "sharks teeth") from the passenger side, feel around for the map sensor, gently push the hold down tab back, and pull up. Heres a pic that should help
Attached Thumbnails How to replace map sensor-ls1_map_sensor_loc_.jpg  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Launching!

I'm going to try one more time. If not will call AAA to get towed to mechanic.

Thanks everyone for the help
Old 10-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
You HAVE TO lift the intake to pull it forward... it sits in the holes for the intake bolts to go down. so simply pulling it forward wouldnt do anything...
Well....you're supposed to take all the intake bolts out that will lift up high enough to get out. Then the rear ones that won't....you simply use a small piece of masking tape to hold them all the way up while you remove the intake. Then it will slide forward right away. I said to him to LIFT it up over the oil sender first, then forward.
The masking tape trick is also the trick to putting the intake back on without having to fight with the rear bolts wanting to fall out of the bottom all the time. Tape them up, put intake in place, then remove tape and all those bolts fall right into their holes.

And theres a big difference between pulling the MAP and sliding the little hose back on in that small of a space.
I'm talking about the A/C vent vacuum hose thats right under the MAP. I reach back there all the time, feel for the little vacuum hose, and pop it back on its port. Its easy.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
The bolts in the back cannot be taken completely out while the intake is in car. You will need to hold them
Masking tape trick...........post #19.........

Quick Reply: How to replace map sensor