Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV question..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 06:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCV question..

simple question about pcv..i tried searching but i found many different answers..can a broken\leaking pcv hose cause misfiring? my 90 degree PCV hose broke, i quick fixed it for now but car is kind of misfiring or shaking at idle only..could pcv do that? to my understanding it sucks up more air to the cylinders so injectors compensate by more fuel, almost like a vacuum leak. is that correct?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

its not like almost a vacuum leak. it IS a vacuum leak. since you fixed it, have you "reset" the pcm with a tool or leaving the battery unplugged? that will clear any dtcs and reset the fuel trims. if the misfire comes back, it wasnt the pcv hose you fixed. luk.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

am pretty much confused.. the 90 degree hose will not suck air..i pluged it completely just to test if its causing the bad idle and nothing changed..i think i will re do the whole install for the peace of mind..
Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

again with this? My **** was broken eaten thru for years and it did not affect my car at all! I fixed it because I was in there doing some work. My gas mileage did not change either was. I believe you have other issues.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
...since you fixed it, have you "reset" the pcm with a tool or leaving the battery unplugged? that will clear any dtcs and reset the fuel trims. if the misfire comes back, it wasnt the pcv hose you fixed. luk.
disconnect the battery tonight and reconnect it tomorrow morning, see what happens, and then luk.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

^ will do. thanks.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

i blocked all the leaks, fixed pcv permanently and car still idles weird, am not saying bad but it shakes randomly sometimes its a vacuum leak for sure then right? going to order new gaskets and re do the install..
Old 10-24-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

disconnect the battery tonight and reconnect it tomorrow morning, see what happens, and then luk.
Instead of having to wait a day all you have to do is,

Turn key on, don't start car
Pull PCM BATT and PCM IGN fuses in engine compartment
Wait 5-10 min
Turn ignition off
Replace fuses
Start car.

BTW, idle will be grumpy after resetting it this way for a few minutes until it relearns.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
i blocked all the leaks, fixed pcv permanently and car still idles weird, am not saying bad but it shakes randomly sometimes its a vacuum leak for sure then right? going to order new gaskets and re do the install..
b4 spending that money, get a can of brake clean or carb cleaner, and spritz it everywhere that is after the MAF and before the intake port of the cylinder head. any air getting in between those two points could cause some problems. i dont remember what year your car is, but that includes EGR, PCV, leaks around the IAC, manifold gaskets, rubber tube between the MAF and T/B, MAP sensor in back, brake booster, fuel injector o-rings, etc. all that good stuff. a leak letting in air between the MAF and cylinder head intake port constitutes a vacuum leak. luk.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

b4 spending that money, get a can of brake clean or carb cleaner, and spritz it everywhere that is after the MAF and before the intake port of the cylinder head. any air getting in between those two points could cause some problems. i dont remember what year your car is, but that includes EGR, PCV, leaks around the IAC, manifold gaskets, rubber tube between the MAF and T/B, MAP sensor in back, brake booster, fuel injector o-rings, etc. all that good stuff. a leak letting in air between the MAF and cylinder head intake port constitutes a vacuum leak. luk.
problem is am working outdoor! if i sprayed the carb cleaner it wont stay around that area..i think am just going to order new gaskets anyway ( i reused my old ones) and since they are ~27$ and this time i'll do it with extra caution...and after thorough inspection and listening i can hear a "hiss" sound! it is pretty loud too! not sure if its in my head or its a vacuum leak. when i give it some gas the hiss sound disappears though.. i can see how am going to waste my next weekend
Old 10-24-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you checked the spark plugs to see if one of the banks is running rich, if one is then check for a exhaust leak on that side of the engine.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you do an LS6 swap? after i did mine i had that HISS too, its the gaskets trust me it will mess up your fuel trims, im going to have to replace the used ones with new ones.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chaos07
Did you do an LS6 swap? after i did mine i had that HISS too, its the gaskets trust me it will mess up your fuel trims, im going to have to replace the used ones with new ones.
your is leaking too?? how bad is that hiss? mine is pretty noticeable!! let me know! lol

Have you checked the spark plugs to see if one of the banks is running rich, if one is then check for a exhaust leak on that side of the engine.
pretty sure its not the plugs, it would have ran bad at wot right? also, everything is leak free, you cant believe how quiet the engine is!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

oh and one more thing! if i want a better seal on the map sensor what should i do? silicone? ideas? am going thru the install in my mind and see if i missed something lol...
Old 10-25-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

got the gaskets i can clearly see how i might be having a vacuum leak!! going to install it after tomorrow. any input on sealing the map?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

put a little silicone on the "barbs" of the rubber seal on the map. just a dab. it (the rubber seal) will likely be ruined if you have to take the map out later, so be sure to source another one for your toolbox.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

alrighty. how about using Teflon instead? will it hold up? thanks
Old 10-25-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

teflon tape ot paste between rubber and plastic? i wouldn't in your situation.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

^ done. intake will be installed tomorrow wish me luck! lol
Old 10-29-2011, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

i reinstalled the intake yesterday. used new gaskets, torqued the bolts in sequence, connected everything just perfect. started the car up and it idled great, drove it to my friends house and as soon as i parked it there the bad idle came back again it idled VERY bad for a while then it got better but still bad. hooked up a scanner and it reads no codes?! only egr and air!!! now what? please help am sick of this do i need a tune after egr delete?

Quick Reply: PCV question..