Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone ever ran 2 x pipes

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone ever ran 2 x pipes

is there anyone on here that can tell me first hand if they have ran more than one x pipe on an exhaust system? or more than one h pipe? i have an 05 cts-v ls6 car and it has stock manifolds, then cat delete pipes, then magnaflow catback w x-pipe. its too raspy for my liking.
the following is a sound clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Mc-YwfW5o

I'm thinking about installing a 2nd x pipe in attempt to eliminate the rasp. I would also like to give it a bit of a more exotic tone, like maybe that of a modded c5z. I know different mufflers are also an option as are headers. I am not going to waste money on headers as I am planning on a single or twin turbos in the near future. I might try some different mufflers if the extra x-pipe doesnt do what i want it to.

any insight would be great especially if any of you have tried a double x pipe setup before. or hell, three or four x pipes for that matter lol jus want to know what the effect, if any, would be from more than one x pipe on an exhaust system. thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think if you found some good high flow aftermarket cats that would eliminate most of that raspiness
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (07-21-2023)
Old 10-24-2011, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Definitely get some cats or better mufflers
Old 10-24-2011, 03:23 AM
On The Tree

My buddies GTO has the magnaflow 2 in 2 out muffler which has the x built in. Its right behind the normal x. It has a nice deep tone at idle and cruise. Wide open, it kinda has a higher pitch sound to it.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

I'm sure cats would clean it up also I should have mentioned it, but I put cat DELETE pipes on it for a reason lol it was too quiet.

And about the gto that technically has 2 x pipes on it thanks man good info that's what I'm looking for anyone else done something like that?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssinister550
I'm sure cats would clean it up also I should have mentioned it, but I put cat DELETE pipes on it for a reason lol it was too quiet.
And we're telling you that that's what is causing your rasp. If you wanted it louder, you should have picked a different muffler.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
And we're telling you that that's what is causing your rasp. If you wanted it louder, you should have picked a different muffler.
A different muffler is going to be your solution rather than some hair brained combo with multiple crossovers.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
These magnaflow system was already on the car when i bought it. Why would i spend 100 to 200 dollars on different mufflers when i can cut the cat off for free, and make more power doing it lol
Old 12-30-2011, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
A different muffler is going to be your solution rather than some hair brained combo with multiple crossovers.
turns out my buddy has a gto w dual x pipes and it sounds amazing! but still dont know if it would eliminate the rasp. I've been piecing a turbo kit together so this is no longer an issue
Old 12-30-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you would benefit from just taking out the X and buying jegs crossover (H) kit. Its like $40 some bucks and would probably fix the problem. An H pipe usually gives a tamer, deeper, less raspy tone...an X pipe usually gives a few more ponies at peak but will cause rasp in most cases.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

why don't you just put cats back on the car and then add a cut-out, so you can be loud and obnoxious when you want and then have a nice mellow tone when you're wanting to lay low?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssinister550
I've been piecing a turbo kit together so this is no longer an issue
not only that, but i would need two cutouts for what your talking about, and at about 300 a pop for an elec. cutout, thats not really my most cost effective option, but is a great idea and i would love cutouts. The turbo should eliminate the rasp enough though

Quick Reply: anyone ever ran 2 x pipes