Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turndowns vs Catback Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Turndowns vs Catback Dilemma

Need a little help here guys. I'm ready to finally go ahead and get rid of the stock SS catback and switch it up for something else. However, I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

Mechanical wise, my car is currently all stock minus an O/R Y. I originally had planned to throw a Magnaflow on behind the O/R Y. But instead, I've been having thoughts of maybe buying some sort of muffler and then just getting maybe like a single 4" tip and dumping it in some place so it's not visible at all. I'm starting to love the look of the Camaro's rear end without tips.

But, I'm not 100% positive on what I should do yet. Whether I would be better off just buying a complete catback, or instead buy some sort of muffler and run a turndown.

Which would be the cheapest? Which one would you do if you were in my position?

Just need some guidance here guys, thanks a lot in advance for any input.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I ran a Magnaflow 3" in/out bullet muffler(#12867) with a 5" diameter case that's 14"Long, it had a really good sound and wasn't overly loud with my H/C/ ory-pipe. The only reason I pulled it off was because I installed a 3.5" exit merger on my bbk ory-pipe. Another really good option is the Magnaflow (#18129) it has a 4" dia. x 18" L case, its aluminized steel, but it uses the same sound dampening material as their stainless steel mufflers.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 11-06-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cheapest, dumped
The most annoying, dumped
I used to dump everything I had on my old truck and I just got done with a dumped exhaust on my WS6 and I finally came to the point where I couldn't take it anymore. It's nothing but constant drone in the cab and you have to scream to talk to the person next to you. Don't get me wrong, it sounded great, but I much prefer the sound to come out of the back now with minimal drone vs. under the car and tons of drone. To each his own though, you might end up liking the dumps, I did for a little while.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What AmarilloWS6 said. I have a dumped bullet and LOVED it for the first week or two. Im to the point now it drives me crazy.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I appreciate all the input from you guys, I think I am just going to stick with the Magnaflow. All I've been reading is people complaining about the bad drone you get from a setup with dumps, and I will probably get sick of that since I daily drive mines.

Last question, can't find any clips of an LS1 car with stock manifolds, O/R Y and a Magnaflow, anyone have any ideas on how that will sound?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magnaflow bullet for a dumped set up. I loved my magnaflow catback though.honest i had every catback before the duals and i loved the magnaflow
Old 11-08-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

No drone at all, and it wasn't even really loud when I had it like this with a Magnaflow#12867.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Ever consider a coutout so you can have it loud when you want, and quiet when you don't?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dumped dynomax bullet here, but I go over the axle and then dump. Good mix of weight savings, no smell, and sound.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
No drone at all, and it wasn't even really loud when I had it like this with a Magnaflow#12867.
That's a pretty good looking setup you have there. I know that muffler isn't too expensive, but how much did having that tip routed like that cost you?

Originally Posted by z-camaro
Ever consider a coutout so you can have it loud when you want, and quiet when you don't?
That's a good thought, but I probably wouldn't feel the need for it once I ditch this stock SS catback. Anything probably sounds better.

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Dumped dynomax bullet here, but I go over the axle and then dump. Good mix of weight savings, no smell, and sound.
Nice, I definitely would want to run mines over the axle if I did it. But, there seems to be more complaints about the drone than not so I'm still kind of on the fence about this whole thing. I'm leaning towards the Magnaflow catback more than anything but I need to do more research on dumps before I make my decision.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I run a magnaflow 4x9 #11229 dumped before the rear. there is very little drone and I get compliments on the sound all the time. I did have to massage the rear seat pan to get it to tuck but its not really noticeable inside the car. I actually want it a little louder.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
That's a pretty good looking setup you have there. I know that muffler isn't too expensive, but how much did having that tip routed like that cost you?

That's a good thought, but I probably wouldn't feel the need for it once I ditch this stock SS catback. Anything probably sounds better.

Nice, I definitely would want to run mines over the axle if I did it. But, there seems to be more complaints about the drone than not so I'm still kind of on the fence about this whole thing. I'm leaning towards the Magnaflow catback more than anything but I need to do more research on dumps before I make my decision.
$132 for the borla turn-down and Magnaflow mandrel L-Bend,S.S. 3 in. ID. A less expensive/ better way I found out is to just buy a Jegs mandrel J-Bend,S.S. 3 in. ID. for $50, and cut it in half, right in the middle 180* bend then flip it about 190* and reweld it like this:
Old 11-09-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

THe only reason duals get a bad reputation for drone is that the vast majority exit under the car. The sound is being projected towards the pavement, and thenn reverberating along the floorpan. A dual system run over the axle, and out the back will not suffer from this.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
[B][I]$132 for the borla turn-down and Magnaflow mandrel L-Bend,S.S. 3 in. ID. A less expensive/ better way I found out is to just buy a Jegs mandrel J-Bend,S.S. 3 in. ID. for $50, and cut it in half, right in the middle 180* bend then flip it about 190* and reweld it like this:
Wow, that's awesome. Your setup is significantly cheaper than buying most catbacks, which are usually 400+ depending on which one you buy.

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
THe only reason duals get a bad reputation for drone is that the vast majority exit under the car. The sound is being projected towards the pavement, and thenn reverberating along the floorpan. A dual system run over the axle, and out the back will not suffer from this.
Yes, that makes perfect sense. For example, what the guy has going on above really probably isn't bad at all in terms of drone. Which is perfect, plus it looks good, seeing properly put together dumped setups like that really makes it tough for me to make up my mind
Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old thread bump, but I made a decision.....

Question for everyone though, my car is stock besides an O/R Y, I plan to get this installed behind it the week after next, would a tune be needed with this or probably not? I'm on stock manifolds, stock everything, the car will just have this Magnaflow and an O/R Y. Tune or no tune?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Nice choice, Definatly wait for getting most of yor bolt ons done before the tune
Old 11-30-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input. I don't plan to do LT's until probably next Summer, so I'll be rolling it with this setup for a good while. Was just making 100% sure that a tune wouldn't be an absolute necessity with what I have done. I figured it wouldn't be but just wanted to be sure.

Any predictions on how this car will sound? I can't find any sound clips of LS1's with stock manifolds with my catback and midpipe combo. Hoping it's not obnoxious, but definitely louder than it is now with a different type of tone.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Thanks for the input. I don't plan to do LT's until probably next Summer, so I'll be rolling it with this setup for a good while. Was just making 100% sure that a tune wouldn't be an absolute necessity with what I have done. I figured it wouldn't be but just wanted to be sure.

Any predictions on how this car will sound? I can't find any sound clips of LS1's with stock manifolds with my catback and midpipe combo. Hoping it's not obnoxious, but definitely louder than it is now with a different type of tone.
no tune needed if all your doing is changing exhaust/cat back without LT's.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright cool, I can't wait to get it on the car.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

You may want to check out the mufflex kit, I have the single hidden tip with the magnaflow muffler. I like it alot as I dont like a camaro with tips sticking out the back where you can see where they actually connect.

Quick Reply: Turndowns vs Catback Dilemma