Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Carb LS1 setup made 40 hp over LS6

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Found this while searching on google.

http://www.edelbrock.com/media/news/..._manifold.html

The 2115 cam specs are as follows: 220/224 .510/.510
Not very big. A 224/228 .570/.570 cam would do better.

As for which intake to use, the edelbrock will drive better and have more usuable torque on the street. The GMPP single plane will probably out HP the edelbrock and will be much quicker at the track. From what I've learned so far about LS1s....and I'm not even close to being an amateur yet.....LS1s are higher RPM motors. I think the dual plane design will choke it down too much. I'm leaning towards the GMPP intake myself now. I just havn't been able to get a straight answer from MSD about the availability of the ignition system by itself.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe if we gang rush MSD.... I'm leaning that way too. AND ON MY WAY OUT THE DOOR TO GO PICK UP MY LS1!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2004, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

so if i were to buy one of these GMPP singleplanes, what all would i need (besides the carb)?
Old 06-15-2004, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

You need to find who/where you can from the MSD ignition system from. Or you might be able to use this sucker I just found. http://www.holley.com/hioctn/prodlin...C/800-501.html and this http://www.holley.com/hioctn/prodlin...K/840-240.html

The big hurdle in the carburated LS1 project is the ignition. You need fuel, air and spark to get an engine going. The mechanicals of the engine will provide the air, the carburator will provide the fuel, all you need to do is find spark control.

Depending on what car you're going to put a carbed LS1 into, you'll need a fuel pump. I'm already running a Comp 140 electric pump, so I'm all set.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1970camaroRS
You need to find who/where you can from the MSD ignition system from. Or you might be able to use this sucker I just found. http://www.holley.com/hioctn/prodlin...C/800-501.html and this http://www.holley.com/hioctn/prodlin...K/840-240.html

The big hurdle in the carburated LS1 project is the ignition. You need fuel, air and spark to get an engine going. The mechanicals of the engine will provide the air, the carburator will provide the fuel, all you need to do is find spark control.

Depending on what car you're going to put a carbed LS1 into, you'll need a fuel pump. I'm already running a Comp 140 electric pump, so I'm all set.
why would i need to upgrade my fuel pump? will the stock one not work?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

carbs run at a much lower fuel presssure than FI.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by guadofreak
carbs run at a much lower fuel presssure than FI.
so which fuel pump would i need to get? the racetronix sounds nice...
Old 06-16-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

in that respect i am clueless... I just know the simple stuff behind carbs.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by m_donze
so which fuel pump would i need to get? the racetronix sounds nice...
You can use the RX pump system but you require a low pressure FM FPR w/return line.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 06-17-2004, 01:46 AM
10 Second Club

kool , i would like to see it in person
Old 06-17-2004, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Racetronix
You can use the RX pump system but you require a low pressure FM FPR w/return line.
What is a FM FPR w/ return line? Sorry for my ignorance....and do you sell this?
Old 06-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Whoa, this all sounds incredible... I would love to run a setup like this some day. What are the cons of running a carb setup LS1? Are there any (other than cost)?
Old 06-17-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S.Hall
Whoa, this all sounds incredible... I would love to run a setup like this some day. What are the cons of running a carb setup LS1? Are there any (other than cost)?

I don t want to offend anyone but some of the questions regarding a carbed set up make it obvious that going to a carb is not for you.

A carb would require tuning....not only of the pcm but actual working on , taking apart and putting the carb back together.....not hard at all, but a total PITA on a 4 th gen......you would probably just take it off to do anything to the rear bowl (holley)......Drivabilty would be terrible, esspecially if your not knowledgable in power valves, accelerator pumps, squiters, pump cams etc....MPG would plummet as well......except for the most talented tuners, also using widebands. And no it wouldn t pass a visual smog in any state that looked, so unless you have an option there its not for the law abiding types.

Carbed Fp is 5 -8 psi ussually, a ls1 is around 55psi......there is some work to do there.
In a hotrod, it would be great.....and the plate nitrous systems would go right on though.

The comment regarding roots blowers? Ah roots blowers don t bolt to a carbed intake......they are unique blower manifolds.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:31 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you convert that manifold over to fuel injection?
Phillip
Old 06-17-2004, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1320
I don t want to offend anyone but some of the questions regarding a carbed set up make it obvious that going to a carb is not for you.

A carb would require tuning....not only of the pcm but actual working on , taking apart and putting the carb back together.....not hard at all, but a total PITA on a 4 th gen......you would probably just take it off to do anything to the rear bowl (holley)......Drivabilty would be terrible, esspecially if your not knowledgable in power valves, accelerator pumps, squiters, pump cams etc....MPG would plummet as well......except for the most talented tuners, also using widebands. And no it wouldn t pass a visual smog in any state that looked, so unless you have an option there its not for the law abiding types.

Carbed Fp is 5 -8 psi ussually, a ls1 is around 55psi......there is some work to do there.
In a hotrod, it would be great.....and the plate nitrous systems would go right on though.

The comment regarding roots blowers? Ah roots blowers don t bolt to a carbed intake......they are unique blower manifolds.
I admit I'm only learning... I've installed some bolt ons on my previous car (longtubes, catback, intake manifold) and helped a buddy with a cam install, done some work in the Navy on LM-2500 gas turbine engines...

I take it from the way you sound here that I'm wasting my time attempting to learn about this stuff?

Anyway, thanks for the answer. I figured MPG would suffer a bit and driveability might go down, but have no experience with switching to a carb setup.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Waiting on soem e-mails to come back from a few companies... THe waiting is THE hardest part!!!!!
Old 06-20-2004, 02:50 AM
10 Second Club

Default pros/cons

Pros/Cons of going with a carbed LS1

Pros-
The carb will be cheaper(assuming swap/transplant into non late-body car)
The carb will make more peak power
A carb is simpler in almost everyway

Cons-
MPG will go down
Throttle response will be weaker
Low and maybe midrange torque will go down

This only makes sense if 1. you want to transplant a LS1 into an already carburated car or 2. race rules mandate carbs only. If you already have an EFI LS1 I would say stick with it.

As far as "will this manifold convert to EFI?" GMPP single plane- yes. Edelbrock dual plane - no. Look here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173572
Old 06-20-2004, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamnut
I'm guessing that the new ignition box works with the factory coil on plug setup and not a single coil system? $250 to $300 is really cheap IMHO considering what an MSD Digital 7 ignition will cost you.

I think that this ignition opens up a lot of doors for covnentional carburetor roots type supercharging on LS1 swaps also. The future is looking really good.
Love the color of your car
Old 06-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks, 1970camaroRS, I appreciate the information! I think I'll stay with the EFI setup on my current car then, and consider a carbed setup for a future swap I'm considering on an older IROC.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Is there any credible evidence that a carb will make more peak power? In any engine?

1320 is absolutely right, if you've never had a carb before. DO NOT consider this.

Quick Reply: New Carb LS1 setup made 40 hp over LS6