Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Body Guys: Before axle exhaust dump location

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Body Guys: Before axle exhaust dump location

Have to cut my exhaust to drop my trans to replace a broken flexplate. Trying to decide if I should just repair what I cut out or if I should take this time and go with new setup.

Right now my exhaust setup is: Welded True Duals: SLP lt's, into 3inch piping with a cutout, then merges into a 2.5 inch pipes as it goes under my subframe connectors, h-pipe, then there is 2 glasspacks (one on each pipe), then it goes under the axle and then has 2 more glasspacks before slp tips.

If I decide to get something new I want : True duals for sure (not sure if i would want to add flanges/clamps to avoid cutting a welded exhaust again in the future). 3 inch piping all the way with an xpipe, want to keep my cutouts and at least one pair of mufflers, then a dump before the rear axle.

But if I decide to change it I dont want a drone or any exhaust comming back in the car (not something I've had a problem with with my current exhaust). So you guys who have had duals dumped under the car before, please let me know what has worked/not worked for you y'all in the past. Pics of your setups would be great

Thanks!
Eric
Old 11-17-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, messing with cut-outs on a dumped exhaust is a waste of time, and fairly impratical given the space constraints. If you mount the cutouts in front of the X-merge, you are negating the benefit of the merge. Might as well skip the merge and just run pipe/cutout/muffler/dump with no merge.

I would do the merge, find a muffler with the tone and volume you want, skip the cutouts, and angle the dump tips as horizontally as possible to cut the drone. The more vertically oriented the tips are the more the sound will reflect off the pavement. Any dumped exhaust will exhibit some drone as the sound waves are trapped (somewhat) under the car. You could even run some extended pipe towards the rocker panels to help the sound exit easier.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

mine are dumped under the car. I have the TSP duals. Very loud with my cam especially. There is some droning on the highway but to be expected with no true mufflers under you.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. Getting rid of the cutouts may be a good idea. They are the lowest point on the exhaust right now so clearance would be improved. I definitely want to have some type of h or x pipe. I'm thinking about dynamax bullets. A buddys cammed 350 sounds awesome with them.

Quick Reply: F-Body Guys: Before axle exhaust dump location