Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it safe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When I first got my car, on cold nights it always threw a code. The code went something like, "Engine coolant below operating threshold." I swapped out the thermostat to the stock temperature, and the code has never come back.

I don't know if I had a faulty thermostat, or if the person before me put a cooler one in.

Last edited by _JB_; 12-05-2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Hotter running engines emit less pollutants.

Cooler running engines will make a bit more power and be more responsive.

The temp gauge will somewhat accurately show the engine's running temperature. It does sweep from low to high. The myth that it only shows low OR high is just that-a myth.

Running a lower than stock thermostat is pointless without tuning the fans to come on at the same temperature.

Running a 160 thermostat will still allow you to have heat inside.

Running a 160 stat and fan start temp will probably NOT keep your engine at 160 degrees due to the real limiting factor in these cars-the radiator. The stock radiator is barely capable of keeping these engines below 200 degrees. The slightly higher capacity LT1 radiator will help a bit but stepping up to the big BeCool radiator will really keep the temps down.
don't forget the gas mileage will decrease with a 160* thermostat
Old 12-05-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok guys, thanks. i will be getting a stock OE one from autozone. reason I asked is because my T-stat is slowly cracking, but can hold. I thought getting an SLP one would be cool, but you have some good points in which I thank you. You helped me decide what to get, and i will be getting a normal T-stat. thanks!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:30 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I had not noticed lower fuel economy when I went to the lower stat, fan start temp and BeCool radiator.

Ya can't go wrong running the stock stat.