Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01 WS-6 spark plug change

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 07:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've got longtubes and no A.I.R.and I've always went underneath for number 8. Could be because of those big *** 1 7/8s primiaries though.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortuneatly, Saturday was spent nursing a hangover. Needless to say the plugs didn't get changed over the weekend....
Old 12-21-2011, 01:04 PM

I just did plugs & wires on my car for the first time (had the car a couple months) last weekend. I started Fri evening so I was drinking while workin on the car & nursed the hangover the next morning, but everything was done by then.

I was a tight fit, but relatively easy. IMO its easier to lift the car to get the rear passenger side plug than it is to take a bunch of stuff off.

You need a 1 1/2 in extension & some Universal joints to make it real easy.
Drivers side-no problems, Pass side-I just unbolted the EGR pipe & pushed out of the way for the first 3 & then got the rear one from underneath.

took about an hour & a half, but like I said I was a few whiskey's deep.

good luck.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Teching In

its impossible to get #8 from underneath because the stock manifolds are in the way...trust me lol...but after a few hours and 6 plugs later...i ended up taking out the A/C and a couple coils to get 7 and 8..if i would have done that in the beginning it would taken like a hour for all of them..gives so much more room..but dont take the A/c out unless u can recharge it obviously..and if u do id reccommend putting a neon dye in it so u can see any leaks
Old 12-21-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

And once you remove all the crap in the way - use this specially shortened plug socket that allows the plug to stick all the way thru (see comparo pic below)

And use this wrench in conjunction with socket to make removal/install VERY EZ:

Old 12-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kodak_f15
I just did plugs & wires on my car for the first time (had the car a couple months) last weekend. I started Fri evening so I was drinking while workin on the car & nursed the hangover the next morning, but everything was done by then.

I was a tight fit, but relatively easy. IMO its easier to lift the car to get the rear passenger side plug than it is to take a bunch of stuff off.

You need a 1 1/2 in extension & some Universal joints to make it real easy.
Drivers side-no problems, Pass side-I just unbolted the EGR pipe & pushed out of the way for the first 3 & then got the rear one from underneath.

took about an hour & a half, but like I said I was a few whiskey's deep.

good luck.
Getting an epidural cortisone shot tomorrow...if I survive that I will be changing plugs Saturday...

Originally Posted by TheWarden
its impossible to get #8 from underneath because the stock manifolds are in the way...trust me lol...but after a few hours and 6 plugs later...i ended up taking out the A/C and a couple coils to get 7 and 8..if i would have done that in the beginning it would taken like a hour for all of them..gives so much more room..but dont take the A/c out unless u can recharge it obviously..and if u do id reccommend putting a neon dye in it so u can see any leaks
Definately not pulling the AC.....

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
And once you remove all the crap in the way - use this specially shortened plug socket that allows the plug to stick all the way thru (see comparo pic below)

And use this wrench in conjunction with socket to make removal/install VERY EZ:

I love pics! And I actually have a shortened s/p socket and ratchet wrench!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Changed the plugs and wires yesterday. Left the coils in place, pulled the AIR tube. #8 had to come from below, without much hassle. #6 was the most costly in skin and blood. Thanks to all those that posted....