Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weiand lingenfelter vs PP Typhoon Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All Aluminum ls1 intakes are garbage! The only time I would buy one is if I wanted the ability to pull over, pop my hood and fry an egg on my intake!!!!

Bottom line aluminum intakes weigh more, ruins the cool INtake air temps that LS cars are known for...

I wouldn't take one if you payed me too...whenever I see one on a car it makes me want to puke, why would you want to make your car worse?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mustangs4Dinner
Lingenfelter intake going in tonight... will keep you guys posted.
So howd it turn out?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Let me rephrase...I would only use aluminum for a carb car...

Whoever says an ls6 isnt worth it obviously don't have one or didn't tune more fuel in to compensate for the better airflow...just like putting on a tunnel ram intake and running a 2 barrel carb won't match
Old 01-22-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isn't worth it to me. It makes no sense if the LS6, BBK and Typhoon are the same price and the BBK and Typhoon are proven to gain in the high rpms and lose nothing down low to an LS6. Plus the typhoon can be taken to a 102 opening. If you don't like the look get it powdercoated. And as far as weight it is 14lbs heavier than an LS6, no way you will evehand in r feel that. And as stated heat soak is a myth. Don't believe me than try this. Heat your oven to 350 or so and open the door for a few seconds. Now as fast as you can put your hand in and out as fast as you can. Chances are you won't feel a change in temperature. Think air moving at 1000 plus cfm will? Also what about the metal heads on a metal engine? Pretty sure that will affect air temp more. Also the pcm reads IATs from the sensor in the lid and adjusts timing based off that, not the intake manifold
Old 01-22-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

That's total bs, I can vouch those are heat sinks bc I drag race with a guy with near exact same setup only difference is he has a typhoon and I have an ls6...I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that between runs at the strip I can put my face on my intake while you can't even put your fingertip on his without getting burned...also we have the same thermostat and his car runs about 190 and my car never even sees 180...I don't know bout your engine but my ls1 prefers not to have that extra heat on its air charge...

Oh an most importantly he runs a couple tenths slower than me in the quarter and we both a4...maybe his intake is defective lol
Old 01-22-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

No 2 cars are gonna run exactly the same, even with the same parts. It's absurd to think they would. Maybe your logic is defective.....dur hurr
Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
That's total bs, I can vouch those are heat sinks bc I drag race with a guy with near exact same setup only difference is he has a typhoon and I have an ls6...I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that between runs at the strip I can put my face on my intake while you can't even put your fingertip on his without getting burned...also we have the same thermostat and his car runs about 190 and my car never even sees 180...I don't know bout your engine but my ls1 prefers not to have that extra heat on its air charge...

Oh an most importantly he runs a couple tenths slower than me in the quarter and we both a4...maybe his intake is defective lol
Define near exact, same suspension? Same tire? Same heads? Same cam? Same stall? And unless you both have 98s the temp gauge is a dummy gauge so it doesnt mean jack ****
Old 01-22-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow this post single-handedly ended the long debate about ally intakes and heat soak who could deny all the concrete facts uncovered by your, face to the intake test and the apples to apples comparison of engine coolant temps from 2 different cars.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lmfao
Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not saying they have every single part the same obviously I'm just telling you what I've seen....heat sink being an old wife's tale huh I must have been imagining the temp...do I really have to video tape an infrared reading? You guys must have that magic Chinese aluminum lol...that's why all the guys running big cube serious motors run aluminum intakes instead of fast intakes right? You guys believe what you want it makes no difference to me...just stating the obvious...if don't think an aluminum intake motor is running hotter than composite intake then what can I say...now if you never go the track and only do street driving like an old man there will be no problems...just don't go to the track unless you wanna fry some eggs up
Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

^^Good luck with your argument. Gonna need it because it has no sense at all...
Old 01-22-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Funny you say that because a lot of guys that hardcore race run an aluminum intake...and way to go back on anything you said. Unless its the exact same car it holds no weight. Also who hotlaps their car this isn't the finale of pinks all out or race wars, you will have time to cool down
Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
Funny you say that because a lot of guys that hardcore race run an aluminum intake...and way to go back on anything you said. Unless its the exact same car it holds no weight. Also who hotlaps their car this isn't the finale of pinks all out or race wars, you will have time to cool down

No, you're an old man if you don't hot lap your car.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

I had a feeling you would bring up the sheet metal intake guys which only do it out of sheer need for enormous runners...half you guys have no clue about thermodynamics or fluid flow so believe what you want but a hotter intake means higher iat which means less power....set up a poll on here an ask if you were given the choice of a free typhoon or fast 90 and see what the consensus is...
Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Also I find it weird that every one of the big three's modern v8s run composite intakes...guys on this thread must know better
Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a Weiand on mine and had it tuned; about 30 hp diff. But a lot of that could've come from the tune.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sepsis
No, you're an old man if you don't hot lap your car.
Out here we can't, too many cars
Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also I find it weird that every one of the big three's modern v8s run composite intakes...guys on this thread must know better
Yeah also its cheaper to make hundreds of thousands out of plastic than metal.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

And IATs are measured at the sensor in the lid, not under the intake so that argument is out
Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got my info from a respected employee from a very respected shop in indiana.

Quick Reply: Weiand lingenfelter vs PP Typhoon Intake