Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weiand lingenfelter vs PP Typhoon Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HP per dollar. If you want to spend big money for minimum gains, thats your buisness. If you want to justify your $ spent with a heat soak arguement your reaching. If you want to prove your arguement, frying eggs and hand thermometers are not a good foundation to start. Everyone is entitled to a opinion on what they think is the best out there. Be happy there is a aftermarket out there that gives you options so you can form that opinion, justfied or not.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Wow none of you ever did anything as simple as letting a bag of ice sit on an aluminum intake to see if it produced any gains? It was a well known trick back in the tpi days usually good for at least a tenth or two improvement that alone points to heatsoak being much more than an old wives tale
Old 01-23-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
In the racing world sometimes that's difference between a win and a loss...
So after all the **** you talked, you were shown some evidence of how little your heat soak argument matters in the real world....and this is your comeback?? Better stick to the frying egg theories. What a loser....
Old 01-23-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright Vin Diesel, and ill call bs to that. Increasing the temperature by 1 degree in an area where it isn't even measured will never be felt.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

I believe Wildcamaro has left the building...

Come on guys! Be nice!

His posts are some of the most entertaining on the forum. It is NOT possible to predict just what he will come up with next....

I think he's tripled his post count in the last 10 days or so...

Maybe just recently released from incarceration?

Please don't diss Vin Diesel in that manner ... He's cooler than that and I bet he has WAY cooler cars than nearly ALL of us.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 01-24-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey I'll take the vin diesel comment as a compliment...thanks

I also didn't know there was a limit to posting...just bored so I like to rattle some cages...
Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just read jimmyblue post and coming from him i would have to say that my "finger and egg frying thermometer" might have failed me lol...no big deal though, I have no problem admitting i was wrong, especially when someone as respected as him does testing and reports his findings...

I still wouldnt run an aluminum intake but thats just me...to each his own
Old 02-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Man I love reading these debates it's what makes this site a great site, well besides all the countless threads of knowledge
Old 02-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

^^Exactly, this was the perfect type of information for me. I don't need to make huge power out of my LS. Now I know that the FAST intakes and such are not for me, so I can spend my money elsewhere.

I definitely enjoyed wildcamaro's posts and even saw the reason in his logic.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Teching In

I have two ls firebirds one with a fast intake and one with a pro products both have similar mods and both run almost identical at the track. The car with the aluminum intake actually was quicker at a closer to stock level. Back to back runs at the strip it never slowed down- street car- and it runs better when up to operating temp.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sickpony
I have two ls firebirds one with a fast intake and one with a pro products both have similar mods and both run almost identical at the track. The car with the aluminum intake actually was quicker at a closer to stock level. Back to back runs at the strip it never slowed down- street car- and it runs better when up to operating temp.
Thanks for your input. When It come to debates I tend to listen to those who have the intakes rather then those who do not.. I have heard a couple bad things about the PP intakes from people who have had them but I have heard tons of great things about them from people who have them as well!

As far as the weight difference when I got my Typhoon 96mm polished in the mail it was 24.5lbs on the lable of the box. I saw online that the LS6 intakes offered on sponsor sights have a shipping weight of 21lbs. 5lbs isnt a big deal at all for me.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

ls6 and FAST should be the only intakes to consider. Thats my honest opinion.

I dont see single digit cars running those typhoon or weiand intakes, nor does anybody with shop cars, or any serious lsx based vehicles. They might have their advantages over the ls6, but I cant justify taking off a proven setup to have a 500$ science experiment and hope it was worth the investment.

Heres some information to digest;
Heres lies a picture of a prototype ls6 manifold that was donated to a local college. It was originally a aluminum intake design, only a 100 were made for road course studies, and later came to the conclusion it was too aggressive for the average driver. I can not confirm nor deny they changed to a plastic design for economic or performance reasons, but the fact remains it was once an aluminum design inwhich was later refined to have a plastic finish.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can put that in your pipe and smoke it
Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

That just isn't true. While the jury may still be out on the Typhoon, The BBK is a great middleground. If you really look you can find a used one with a throttle body for under $500. There is nothing wrong with the Weiand aside from the price. Used they go for $250ish and its on par with an LS6. And "serious shop cars" are leaning more and more towards a ProFlo or Holley Hi Ram.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

My shop ran a PP on their 831hp procharged vette for awhile...said he really liked the intake itself and advised me when i found a great deal on mine to get it and that we can port it if necessary. But yes on a serious drag car that i was squeezing every single hp out of id look at holley...fast...edelbrock
..but im not so the PP is a very reasonable upgrade IMO.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

My PP 96mm Cost 320.00 Shipped brand New. Its worth a 320.00 experiment to see how it does compared to a LS6. If it dont net me at least 10-15 more pony's then I will rip it off, bite the bullet and get a Fast 102. I dont race my car all the time. I am not looking for records or anything I just want to have a fun car and a nice looking car.

Quick Reply: Weiand lingenfelter vs PP Typhoon Intake