Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified Intake Idea! Input welcome

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:37 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I was half sarcastic saying the big L would come down off Mount Olympus....

I still think its a really sweet project and awesome craftsmanship. Outside the box thinking is where some of the greatest ideas were founded.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Lingenfelter is beyond simply looking at a throttle body opening and saying "Maybe if we make it the hole bigger, itll make more power". All the TB opening does is allow air into the plenum.

They understand that the internal runners are what change power and make the big difference in a manifold.

Ive done as much intake dyno testing as anyone, this intake would be a fun project and is surely scores points for being different. I dont think it will make much more power if its properly tested against an out of the box intake. He will gain a couple from going to the 90mm and maybe a few if he did a good job removing casting flash and minor porting!
Not to sound like a ******** here, but. Lingenfelter didnt produce this intake, John Lingenfelter developed this intake for Weiand.
- There isnt a runner difference between the LS1 & LS6 intake, its difference in plenum volume.
- The Weiand/Lingenfelter intake is a revised LS6 intake with a slightly larger plenum and small runner changes. Now this is information straight from Weiand (I have been speaking to them about this project)
- As the "runners" empty out what refills them with air??? The plenum, which is intern filled by??? The throttlebody.

So my entire thought process for this intake has been simple, get air into the intake faster, to get it to the larger cleaner runners faster, to get it into the cylinders faster, and get out of the motor faster. I have been an auto mechanic for 12+ years and have worked on multiple race teams from small dirt cars to large pavement cars. I dont mean to discount anyones thoughts or your dyno results here. But all motors perform differently with different parts. I have built 2 race motors at the same damn time, with all the same parts. 1 had just shy of 1000 hp the other sucked at life and we ended up tearing down.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by firemech21
Not to sound like a ******** here, but. Lingenfelter didnt produce this intake, John Lingenfelter developed this intake for Weiand.
I never said they did, I was commenting on someone saying "HE" thought LPE would kick themselves for not making a 90mm version. Im not knocking you, but people are acting like you invented the wheel or something....lol.... I said "Its a nice project and scores points for being different". Dont be so defensive.

As the "runners" empty out what refills them with air??? The plenum, which is intern filled by??? The throttlebody.

So my entire thought process for this intake has been simple, get air into the intake faster, to get it to the larger cleaner runners faster, to get it into the cylinders faster.
The runners size, length, and taper produce velocity to the port. They are the "magic" in a manifold. The plenum basically has to be able to feed them, and the throttle body just has to be able to feed the plenum.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SweetS10V8- I agree with the plenum needing to be able to feed the runners. Probably what GM noticed in developing the LS6 vs LS1 intakes. Im just trying to get more air through the intake faster, without paying some outrageous $$$. Seems like every intake for an LS1 gets priced like gold and I think thats ignorant
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SweetS10V8- I agree with the plenum needing to be able to feed the runners. Probably what GM noticed in developing the LS6 vs LS1 intakes. Im just trying to get more air through the intake faster, without paying some outrageous $$$. Seems like every intake for an LS1 gets priced like gold and I think thats ignorant
The same way I advocate people use the absolute best heads they can afford(see sig quote), the same goes for thier intakes.

I dont think its ignorant to buy, say a FAST 102mm, and here is why. Some people dont have fab skills or tools, and the FAST does exactly what your doing. It has a large throttle body opening, just like your trying to accomplish. It has the maximum plenum volume that will physically fit in a Camaro/Corvette, and there is no changing plenum volume on an intake, it is what it is. It also has the bonus of optimised runners as well.

I do think your project is fun and unique. I really like the finish on it as well, looks good in there. I wish my FAST wasnt gray to be honest.

Heres a couple of pics showing intake manifold velocities in the plenum and runner of an LS intake manifold, just for a visual.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

SweetS10V8- Thanks and I agree with your sig (i have always liked that quote) and a FAST would be a great choice if the $$$ was resonable. Currrently Im stationed somewhere that I dont deploy and military salaries are not that great. Maybe in a couple months once I move and go back to my normal Air Force job and get to go down range every couple months then I wouldnt care about getting a fast. But who knows I might go FI and personally I would rather have a solid intake for that setup.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Regardless, It looks like it has turned out nice, and I bet you'll notice some gain.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks folks the dyno results havent turned out to well... See below thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...l#post15968703

When I can I will get numbers up here.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best part of that thread:

What **** poor business practice well I hope that the Better Business Bureau complaint does well with them. On top of that since I am currently serving in the military I'm going to contact both my senators from NY, both my wife's senators from WA, and both of the senators from TX. So I hope that they have fun.
I don't even have the words.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
The same way I advocate people use the absolute best heads they can afford(see sig quote), the same goes for thier intakes.

I dont think its ignorant to buy, say a FAST 102mm, and here is why. Some people dont have fab skills or tools, and the FAST does exactly what your doing. It has a large throttle body opening, just like your trying to accomplish. It has the maximum plenum volume that will physically fit in a Camaro/Corvette, and there is no changing plenum volume on an intake, it is what it is. It also has the bonus of optimised runners as well.

I do think your project is fun and unique. I really like the finish on it as well, looks good in there. I wish my FAST wasnt gray to be honest.

Heres a couple of pics showing intake manifold velocities in the plenum and runner of an LS intake manifold, just for a visual.

LOOK AT THE PRETTY COLORS!!!

ty
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

For the record, I never said they would be "kicking themselves" for not making it. I sinmply stated it would be cool if they looked at the thread and thought of doing it. That's it.

Just trying to give a guy props.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Firemech
Where did you get that wrinkle black paint? What brand?

I think that intake will do very well under pressure.
But it has alot of metal in the runners, so a skilled porter will be able to accomplish the "magic" in the runners paired with ported cylinder heads, should use up that new tb opening.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeSS
Firemech
Where did you get that wrinkle black paint? What brand?

I think that intake will do very well under pressure.
But it has alot of metal in the runners, so a skilled porter will be able to accomplish the "magic" in the runners paired with ported cylinder heads, should use up that new tb opening.

It's probably the VHT wrinkle stuff. I seen it the other day at Autozone.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The paint is the VHT wrinkle black and it does turn into a very nice finish. Spraying the paint is kind of different, the wrinkle doesnt develope until after its setting.

The intake feels really good in the car, Im still having some tuning issues in regards to idle and need to get the car on the dyno as well.

Quick Reply: Modified Intake Idea! Input welcome