Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal shavings low oil pressure HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by transam215
I am new to the ls1 engine but I rebuild diesel engines and this does sound like a spun bearing or me as far as losing oil pressure from a rear seal it would have to be almost gushing out. As far as your oil pump could be clogged up from the spun bearing. This IMO is what is going on, good luck man!
I think the OP did say this...

Originally Posted by i420tom
oh and it developed a leak at the back of the motor somewhere now to. I noticed that when the pressure dropped to nearly zero it was almost pouring out. But when pressure was good it didnt leak. And when i restarted it, no leak... strange!
This probably needs to be clarified a little further at this point. If it's pouring out, pull the trans and check the rear cover.

If its not POURING out, and maybe just dripping or something, then you have another issue like possible spun bearing.

Going by original symptoms (starts to pour out when pressure drops) then OP needs to check rear plate vs. tear down engine.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes it starts to pour out when pressure drops to nearly zero, but...... If I don't drive the car and just let it sit and idle, it will have a hot idle of about 20 psi and not leak at all. I know my hot idle used to about 40, so if it is the rear cover and not the pump, or a bearing, how would this be explained Lol?? This is why I feel the need to changee the pump first. Anyone disagree?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

Yes it starts to pour out when pressure drops to nearly zero, but...... If I don't drive the car and just let it sit and idle, it will have a hot idle of about 20 psi and not leak at all. I know my hot idle used to about 40, so if it is the rear cover and not the pump, or a bearing, how would this be explained Lol?? This is why I feel the need to changee the pump first. Anyone disagree?
Sounds like you possibly have 2 problems.

If it will idle and not leak at all, obviously it's not the cover casuing your low pressure. Easy enough to swap the pump out.

Even if the pump takes care of that problem (which it may not), you will still have a problem with the rear cover leaking (causing pressure to drop to zero).
Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 AM
9 Second Club

Pulled the oil pump last night. and what would ya know the pickup tube had no resistance coming out and the oring was split. Now the million dollar question is did i rip the oring when i removed the pickup?

Which color oring do i use as a replacement. black green red?

i think the silver dusting i saw in the oil was merely just engine paint. as i can see that he painted the engine with the timing cover off. the chain and oil pump ect had some paint on them that is coming off.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:03 PM
9 Second Club

New oil pump and oring... same exact issues CRAP!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

New oil pump and oring... same exact issues CRAP!
do you have the motor out of the car? did you measure your bearing clearances when you built the motor? what are your main and rod bearing clearances set at?

are you sure you didnt pinch the new o ring when you installed it? you lubed the o ring with assembly grease and then put it on the pick up tube, then rotated the pump onto the pick up tube correct?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:14 PM
9 Second Club

Motor is not out yet. Clearances unknown. I assume stock clearances.

Car had great pressure 40psi hot idle and 60+ cold idle or hot at higher revs, for the first few hundred miles so i assume its stock clearances.
Yes the New oring is not pinched, went in lubed up and smoothly installed on the pickup first.

I would imagine that a cam bearing walking would be an issue that would make sense and is not very very uncommon. I have seen many threads with the exact same psi issues as me(with no knocking) and it seems all of them are the cam bearings walking. I will assume for now that this is my issue untill i can rule it out.
However i will pull the rear cover to check the barbell style plug, i think i cna get a peak at the rear cam bearing while doing this too as a bounus< and i will cut open the oil filter (again) before i go any further. Found nothing significant last time.
Other possibilitys are pickup screen or tube issues
Old 02-14-2012, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Motor is not out yet. Clearances unknown. I assume stock clearances.

Car had great pressure 40psi hot idle and 60+ cold idle or hot at higher revs, for the first few hundred miles so i assume its stock clearances.
Yes the New oring is not pinched, went in lubed up and smoothly installed on the pickup first.

I would imagine that a cam bearing walking would be an issue that would make sense and is not very very uncommon. I have seen many threads with the exact same psi issues as me(with no knocking) and it seems all of them are the cam bearings walking. I will assume for now that this is my issue untill i can rule it out.
However i will pull the rear cover to check the barbell style plug, i think i cna get a peak at the rear cam bearing while doing this too as a bounus< and i will cut open the oil filter (again) before i go any further. Found nothing significant last time.
Other possibilitys are pickup screen or tube issues

sounds like the seal isnt being stressed until you are beyond idle and it starts leaking instead of going *** backwards and messing with pump which you arent sure is the problem change that rear seal and see if that fixes your problem... as far as the metal shavings did you change your oil after the first 100 miles or is this still the first oil since you have started the motor... if you havent changed the oil the "metal shavings" you see can be graphite break in lube.

since the rear seal is right below the sender I think your rear seal is the problem as long as the oil pump went back into position correctly.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 AM
9 Second Club

i agree that the rear seal may be an issue, but considering that if i dont drive the car the rear seal does not leak, and i still have pressure issues, im assuming that it is not the cause of my half loss of pressure when hot, i think something more serious is going on here. However the rear seal will be checked before i pull the motor so we will see.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

In for update
My rebuilt motor idled at 40psi hot now it idles at 20psi. Going to check oil tonight and hope and pray I don't see metal.

Last edited by maxgee; 02-26-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not hijacking just saying I pulled oil and in the filter I have copper.
Wow, only 500 miles on the forged motor.
Looks like I ran too rich for too long and back to back runs at the track did it in.
Set up 13psi boost e85 and 80lbs injs. Took me a little to get the tune dialed back in. I should have changed from my Rotella oil after I dialed her in before I went to
The track.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 AM
9 Second Club

Hey Max that sucks!!! I'm sure i am in the same boat as you. I just dont have the warm weather to work on mine yet. Did you get some good track times at least? Post em to your sig
Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 AM
9 Second Club

Do all of the bearings have copper in them? or is it just the cam bearings?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

My nittos where done so my times are substandard. I went to finish up the tune as the track is 5 mins from my house. Hope to pull the motor out and fixed by March 31st.

Hey Max that sucks!!! I'm sure i am in the same boat as you. I just dont have the warm weather to work on mine yet. Did you get some good track times at least? Post em to your sig

Quick Reply: Metal shavings low oil pressure HELP