Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header shopping help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header shopping help!

Hey guys im in the market to get some headers for my camaro and was looking for your guy's advice. BTW first time posting so work with me. I have a 2001 Camaro Z28 with 32k and the upgrades are the following: ram air ss hood, slp lid with k&n, slp catback, msd wires, advanced the timing, slp strut bar, umi lower control arms, and the rest stock. I am looking at the SLP headers, but have not seen to many people with them and they are also expensive. Let me know what you have heard about them or what you currently have. Also, does anyone know of where to get my car tuned once I get the headers on around NW Indiana. One more thing, I saw a post to get my throttle body ported and polished for only $100 and was wondering if this really makes a big difference?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Teching In

american racing headers
Old 02-05-2012, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree American Racing Headers
Old 02-05-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TSP headers
Old 02-06-2012, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

American Racing or Kooks for the ultimate fit and finish, TSP or Pacesetter if budget is of concern. Regarding the SLP headers, ground clearance has always been a concern. I believe they have reconfigured to improve on this, but I am not certain.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Teching In

I was looking at the american racing headers as well, but would they bolt to my slp cat back?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nottinghamer
Hey guys im in the market to get some headers for my camaro and was looking for your guy's advice. BTW first time posting so work with me. I have a 2001 Camaro Z28 with 32k and the upgrades are the following: ram air ss hood, slp lid with k&n, slp catback, msd wires, advanced the timing, slp strut bar, umi lower control arms, and the rest stock. I am looking at the SLP headers, but have not seen to many people with them and they are also expensive. Let me know what you have heard about them or what you currently have. Also, does anyone know of where to get my car tuned once I get the headers on around NW Indiana. One more thing, I saw a post to get my throttle body ported and polished for only $100 and was wondering if this really makes a big difference?

Thanks
Look at TSP/Pacesetter/BBK if budget is a concern. They all offer pretty good value for the money. Look at Kooks/ARH if you want quality headers, but be prepared to shell out the extra cash for them. If you're in NW Indiana, I would look up Speed Inc in Schaumburg, IL. They're a sponsor here with very good reviews. Do a google search for them and you can grab their address and mapquest it. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know you're looking for headers. But even with the simple bolt ons you have now, I would seriously consider sub frame connectors next. Your car is low mileage, and I'm guessing that the body hasn't started tweaking around just yet. Sfc's would prevent that at once. They're also an outstanding supporting mod for your other mods. I hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Thank you guys for the advice. Anyone suggest porting the TB?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Thanks
Def do not go with SLP headers. Clearance issues are a big negative with these headers. I have owned two sets of Kooks headers. I love Kooks and would def recommend them. I would go with the 1 7/8 race version if you dont have emissions. Otherwise you can get them with the proper provisions. Not to many people are a fan of the SLP catback with headers. Im assuming your talking about the loudmouth. Too much rasp with headers imo. If budget is no concern I would get the Kooks true dual setup. You can get the headers and duals for around $1900. Mail order tune by FROST should suffice for bolt ons. I would port the throttle body.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

Thank you guys for the advice. Anyone suggest porting the TB?
Yes and bump stop delete.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Alright, thanks a lot for the heads up. Im thinking of def going with the kooks headers now, but if I have emissions what specs should I go with? Yea I have the loudmouth and its pretty raspy right now with the stock manifolds, but I dont think I want to spend that much right now lol. Now do you think I could drop the car a inch with the headers of would clearance be an issue? Thanks again
Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, people dropped more clear fine
Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Alright, cool thanks.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Clearance shouldn't be an issue. I have the TSP 1 7/8 headers and I love them. We don't have emissions here so I cant help you there but you most definately don't want to be catless with a LM1. I've all ready been there it lasted literally 1 day and thats just because an exhaust shop wasn't open the day I picked my car up. I ended up putting the stock cat back on it. I've never experimented with the diffent mufflers in the LM set up but I know a true LM1 is awful just awful and obnoxiously loud.