Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowtech Y-pipe install

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowtech Y-pipe install *Added pics/avi's

Finally. No more open headers. Now the low deep rumble seems to be gone. Going through an open cutout there is no low rumble like it was with stock manifolds and cats. To describe the sound, it would be more of a burble? Higher in pitch with a wicked cackle when you rev it. In a way it reminds of a louder Borla.

But anyway. Clearance seems to be great at the min. The Y-pipe does not bang on the drivers side, due to about an inch or 3/4 of an inch of clearance between the floor and the top of the pipe. Passenger side is wonderful in clearance. The hardest part to getting the Y-pipe installed was getting the pipe into the stock I pipe. Hmmm. It could have used a muffler shop, but at 9pm there are no local shops open. But it went with the help of a MAP gas torch, a sledge and a 2X4.

We bolted the Y-pipe to the collectors, and then bolted the hanger up. After that a my buddy and I pulled on the stock exhaust tips, while pushing the Y-pipe into position. The Y-pipe did not slip in as hoped. So that is where I heated the stock I-pipe. Once it was nice and hot, I tapped on the 2X4 that I had placed against the cutout with the sledge hammer. Driving it that way took many a small swing, but it came through. Just marked the Y-pipe for where we thought that it needed to go to be as far into the slip joint as possible. All that done, I changed the oil and called it a day.

This Y-pipe pictured is the non coated. (I was afraid that I would have to pry on it, cuss it or even heat it to make it fit. That is why I did not chose coated. For the fear....all for the fear of ruining the coating) On the website, I was led to believe that it would be painted, that I can get to later.

But without further delay, here are some pics. Of the dents in the Y-pipe and the clearance. They did not exactly show the amount of room since I cannot get my camera in that high, but I hope it helps those that are wondering.

And that is that. A big thanks to my friend Russ who came and helped me. 2 people on this is a definate plus. Oh and the car was on ramps along with the right rear jacked up about 7 inches.

*Added pics and small avi files*

idle/open cutout
Rev/open cutout
60mph/open coutout/converter locked

Last edited by Broken041; 03-22-2004 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 03-20-2004, 01:39 AM
11 Second Club

Looks great! That sucks that you had so much trouble. I think I'll be getting the Flowtechs when I do LT's.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

It was trouble, but it was not horrid where it was not able to be overcome that night. In terms of difficulty, I would rate it up there with putting the E clips back on the tranny lines going into the tranny. Not hard, just a pain to deal with.