Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

port and polishing heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default port and polishing heads

have a set of bare 241 heads my buddy gave me but the places i have gone to want to charge $1000 or more, anyone know of any links on how to diy a port and polish on some heads or maybe even a write up on here?
Old 02-11-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don,t know of any, Considering potring mine myself one day as I have done porting work on both motorcycles & gen 1 small blocks. Seems that I once read that if your porting isn,t consistant enough from cylinder to cylinder, it can throw the computer off & you can loose power. Been wonderin if that,s true or not??I do have a hands on skill & practice level to reasonably match one item to another both by sight & time spent.
I,d recommend if you don,t have previous porting experience, don,t even think about doing anything more than a MILD job of mostly cleanup & minor recontouring.I like to fully polish exhaust side , but leave intake ports sanding grit rough for better fuel atomization. And a light cleanup on combustion chamber area. Even without actually( porting) things out, removing any large bumps or casting flash is a definite improvement most anybody should be safe doing. Removing any large bumps or ridges in the combustion chamber also helps against detonation hot spots, which on a LS computer will cause you to lose power by retarding timing.
hope this is some help.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Search is your friend

There are a ton of good porting threads on the Gen III internal and external forum. Use the search tool. And the advanced search function, search for "Port" in the title only. That found me a number of great threads!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, I just cleaned up the slag and parting lines on my heads once you starting reshaping you are asking for trouble ...there is a reason people charge the money they do bc if us DIY guys could do it ourselfs they wouldn't charge a g to do it...clean up and polish if you don't have any porting experience like me...I bought an extra head to practice on before I ruin my good heads...good luck man
Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can get used 5.3 heads to practice on if you DIY.do a good valve job when finished porting.check TSP for their head porting prices.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wondered if you could buy a cnc ported head and copy it by hand. I'll bet you could get close but it would take you many hours.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i can see this is something i prob dont wanna touch, so i will take your guys advice and find someone to do it, i def dont wanna mess this up thanks for your guys input.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Captain Double Post

send them to AI! they do great work, and people have been very happy , i have seen some 853s done by them that performed great, check out there website they have a few options , im sure if ya call them they could do some things for you

http://www.advancedinduction.com/
Old 02-12-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow just watching that video makes me think its about 1000 dollar job lol but ill have to get in touch with them. that thing is precise

Quick Reply: port and polishing heads