Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric cutout function.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electric cutout function.

I was hoping someone could give me some insight. Do electric cutouts function full open full close or can you hook one up to open at certain angles? Want to put one on my borla adjustable but want to be able to meter partially through muffler.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stryker
I was hoping someone could give me some insight. Do electric cutouts function full open full close or can you hook one up to open at certain angles? Want to put one on my borla adjustable but want to be able to meter partially through muffler.
The cutout that was installed on my '02 when I bought it was electric and had a 3-way rocker switch to control the cutout: one position closes the blade, one is "neutral", the last opens the blade. While it is possible to have more than just wide open and totally shut in this case, from what I've read most e-cutout manufacturers say to not have it in any position than open or shut, and in fact I think most will try to void your warranty if it is operated in a partial-open state (if they could even tell....)
Old 02-19-2012, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info.. exactly what I was wondering.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MrBluGruv
The cutout that was installed on my '02 when I bought it was electric and had a 3-way rocker switch to control the cutout: one position closes the blade, one is "neutral", the last opens the blade. While it is possible to have more than just wide open and totally shut in this case, from what I've read most e-cutout manufacturers say to not have it in any position than open or shut, and in fact I think most will try to void your warranty if it is operated in a partial-open state (if they could even tell....)
Untrue.
My QTP can be opened partially.
From there FAQ.
Q: Do I have to run the cutout wide open when I open it?
A: Not at all, you control as much volume from the cutout as you like. You have total control over this using the supplied momentary toggle switch or one of our other optional controllers. Just want a little bit louder? Give the switch a quick tap down. A little more? another tap... and so on.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hard Core Z28
Untrue.
My QTP can be opened partially.
From there FAQ.
Q: Do I have to run the cutout wide open when I open it?
A: Not at all, you control as much volume from the cutout as you like. You have total control over this using the supplied momentary toggle switch or one of our other optional controllers. Just want a little bit louder? Give the switch a quick tap down. A little more? another tap... and so on.
I stand corrected about my warranty guess.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

sweet looks like i need to go shopping for one then.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep with my toggle swith yu can open it up just a little or make so everyone knows your comin!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I built a cable operated one from a northstar throttle body. Course it was easier said than done, but instant response.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3mL8...6&feature=plcp
Old 02-22-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a DMH e-cutout on my borla (in place of the adj. plates) and like mentioned above, you can adjust to be open at any angle...beats having to get under the car to swap out plates and can do it while driving too.

Here is a pic of mine (sorry not the best pic for to see the cutout), but you can see the e-cutout wiring going up and to the left in the pic (there is a rubber plug in the floor there that you can pass the wire thru to run it into the cabin)

Last edited by peterlawl84; 02-22-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
I built a cable operated one from a northstar throttle body. Course it was easier said than done, but instant response.
HOLY **** nice work on that Camino!

Quick Reply: Electric cutout function.