Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gmmed up camshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gmmed up camshaft position sensor

Just pulled the sensor out and there was alot of oil and sludgy crap on it. So I took a bore scope and looked down the hole and theres alot of crap in there. How would I clean that out? Can I blow compressed air in there or should I pour oil down the hole. Need an answer ASAP so I can get it all back together.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Q tips and brake cleaner and patience lol i think its probably just oil sludge caused by extended oil change intervals
Old 02-26-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nomasterase
Q tips and brake cleaner and patience lol i think its probably just oil sludge caused by extended oil change intervals
I go over no more that 1oo kms, so that shouldn't be a problem. I run synthetic and change it early a every 5000 kms. The sludge is accumulating on the reluctor wheel and is quite a ways down top reach with q tips.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tweeder
I go over no more that 1oo kms, so that shouldn't be a problem. I run synthetic and change it early a every 5000 kms. The sludge is accumulating on the reluctor wheel and is quite a ways down top reach with q tips.
go to a pharmacy (Rite Aid, wallgreens) and pick up some mouth swabs. they are about $5 for 100 of the. they have a qu-tip end on one end and a 8" stick on the other. so it is like a really long one sided qu-tip. that is how i cleaned my cylinder head bolt holes.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
go to a pharmacy (Rite Aid, wallgreens) and pick up some mouth swabs. they are about $5 for 100 of the. they have a qu-tip end on one end and a 8" stick on the other. so it is like a really long one sided qu-tip. that is how i cleaned my cylinder head bolt holes.
I'm asuming since there was oil and gunk on the end the sensor, that engine oil splashes up on there all the time. If so then rinsing it down with oil will wash any crap down to the bottom of the oil pan? If not then I have to rotate the cam by hand intill all 360 degrese have been cleaned?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Was the "crap" on the end or the sides? The sensor goes into a double-walled hole. Only the very end goes inside the engine block, the main shank part is in an area exposed to outside elements (i.e. between the block, converter, and bellhousing) where dirt could conceivably get to it.

If you look directly at the top of the rear cover, there's a small triangular area that the sensor passes through...

Old 02-26-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Was the "crap" on the end or the sides? The sensor goes into a double-walled hole. Only the very end goes inside the engine block, the main shank part is in an area exposed to outside elements (i.e. between the block, converter, and bellhousing) where dirt could conceivably get to it.

If you look directly at the top of the rear cover, there's a small triangular area that the sensor passes through...

Wow thanks didn't know that. No the gunk was on the very end of the sensor and on the reluctor ring. I couldn't get plain long q tips so I taped one to a stick and tried that. I had no control inside the narrow hole so I blew compressed air down right at the ring. I rotated it a few times and looked and all was clean so hopefully that is the end of my p0343 code.

Quick Reply: gmmed up camshaft position sensor