Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP 1 7/8" and Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see many sets of stock plug wires anymore! Most guys have MSD wires so they never notice how wide & close stock wires come to large tube headers. I personally have trimmed just a tiny amount off a corner of the rubber where it gets close to the headers with a razor blade before. That rubber is very thick in that area & just takes up a lot of space next to a already large primary.

Ultimately that is a issue that LOTS of headers have with stock wires. A slight tweak to the wire will easily clear it up, or a sweet set of MSD wires are always a good option!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

With my Hooker 1 7/8s bendable boots is mandatory. I suspect this is very common as Jason states.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
I don't see many sets of stock plug wires anymore! Most guys have MSD wires so they never notice how wide & close stock wires come to large tube headers. I personally have trimmed just a tiny amount off a corner of the rubber where it gets close to the headers with a razor blade before. That rubber is very thick in that area & just takes up a lot of space next to a already large primary.

Ultimately that is a issue that LOTS of headers have with stock wires. A slight tweak to the wire will easily clear it up, or a sweet set of MSD wires are always a good option!
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
With my Hooker 1 7/8s bendable boots is mandatory. I suspect this is very common as Jason states.
Yeah, I'm starting to become more and more comfortable with modifying the boots under those sleeves. I mean, no one is going to see them anyway, and there is plenty of rubber there. MSD certainly had the idea with those bendable boots...
Old 03-06-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just buy a set.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones

Just buy a set.
You mean these?

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
So here's what I did. I think it's a good compromise, but the boot wouldn't bend with slight force and I didn't want to risk breaking a wire because these things are a solid core. The sleeve is double layered, and it's much more substantial than the DEI sleeves at Autozone/Advance. It bends, but they're stiff sleeves so I feel a bit more comfortable.

What do you guys think?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow your clearence is LOW LOW...that looks like trouble especially under a load.. Heres mine with TDs...http://pix.kg/p/925056926311%3A1170889713/sct...
Old 03-07-2012, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by justin hover
Wow your clearence is LOW LOW...that looks like trouble especially under a load.. Heres mine with TDs...http://pix.kg/p/925056926311%3A1170889713/sct...
Yeah, I know. But the DS is literally resting on the front of my Spohn torque arm. I will get under there and try massaging the y-pipe to tuck a bit better, just taking a break after all that exhaust work. I bet I could get at least an inch back just by doing some adjustments, but it is RIGHT on my torque arm!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got the same problem as yours with 1 7/8 hooker headers, put the DEI heat socks with the sock still touching the primary and the silicone boot on the MSD wire cracked....stupid me i didn't realize that the MSD boot was bendable, so i re-ordered a single MSD wire from WS6store and bend it to clear off the primary, i still keep the sock in there just in case.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Like them boots! keep me posted on how that works, I have the exact same setup going in now, even the boots in red....and TSP's.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
i know you like the blue color, but the MSD wires have also been proven to have the least resistance and the most efficient wire for out F-body cars. just FYI

you can always just paint them! or sleeve the wires with the blue outer of a bigger wire. the MSD's are only 8.5
The grannateli wires have 0 ohms resistance and WILL make more power. Probably the only wire that makes measurably more power than other wires.

Not cheap but their wires with the heat shields on them are very nice
Old 03-09-2012, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by justin hover
Way off topic, but I adjusted it as much as I could yesterday. I know it won't hit my floor since it's still got at least a couple inches of clearance to the floor, but it's because it is ON my Spohn torque arm. I'll have to see what else I can do this weekend.

"Like them boots! keep me posted on how that works, I have the exact same setup going in now, even the boots in red....and TSP's."

Will do, thanks!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

yeah i was just thinking that myself
Old 03-12-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I know. But the DS is literally resting on the front of my Spohn torque arm. I will get under there and try massaging the y-pipe to tuck a bit better, just taking a break after all that exhaust work. I bet I could get at least an inch back just by doing some adjustments, but it is RIGHT on my torque arm!
this is what im worried about myself. is your torque arm tunnel mount? i have this setup sitting in my bedroom I am awaiting my TSP Y pipe which is out of stock til end of march, and will be putting all this on. I am also wondering what you think of the TSP 1 7\8s, I also have the PC lt's that you just switched from. I am trying to find the thread that compares the 1 7\8s to the 1 3\4s but I am having no luck.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I buckled and followed the herd... my MSD wires are on. No pics because my coils are off for beautification, but the boots cleared fine after some bending. Really wanted to keep those Granatellis.

Originally Posted by mikh338
this is what im worried about myself. is your torque arm tunnel mount? i have this setup sitting in my bedroom I am awaiting my TSP Y pipe which is out of stock til end of march, and will be putting all this on. I am also wondering what you think of the TSP 1 7\8s, I also have the PC lt's that you just switched from. I am trying to find the thread that compares the 1 7\8s to the 1 3\4s but I am having no luck.
The Spohn is full length and relocated on the trans cross member. I know what thread you're talking about for results, can't find it... I know it was a solid gain on an engine dyno switching from 1 3/4" to 1 7/8", was it 10hp?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why did you switch? I thought you had cut the rubber and they had clearance.

Slightly off topic, but are you trying to sell the Granatellis? I would be interested.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I buckled and followed the herd... my MSD wires are on. No pics because my coils are off for beautification, but the boots cleared fine after some bending. Really wanted to keep those Granatellis.

The Spohn is full length and relocated on the trans cross member. I know what thread you're talking about for results, can't find it... I know it was a solid gain on an engine dyno switching from 1 3/4" to 1 7/8", was it 10hp?
yeah i cant find it either. i talked to a cpl guys and they are telling me i will lose power if i go to 1 7\8s. I really had my eyes on the TSP 1 7\8s but if its not going to gain me much i really dont want to do a header swap. i heard the 1 7\8s are a real b**** to get in
Old 03-20-2012, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
Why did you switch? I thought you had cut the rubber and they had clearance.

Slightly off topic, but are you trying to sell the Granatellis? I would be interested.
No, I was getting comfortable with the idea, but decided not to alter these expensive Granatellis when the MSDs were proven to work. So I guess they are for sale

Originally Posted by mikh338
yeah i cant find it either. i talked to a cpl guys and they are telling me i will lose power if i go to 1 7\8s. I really had my eyes on the TSP 1 7\8s but if its not going to gain me much i really dont want to do a header swap. i heard the 1 7\8s are a real b**** to get in
Hmm, not what I heard... and no, the 1 7/8" slipped in ridiculously easy considering I did it on jack stands with only the starter and oil filter removed, steering knuckle loosened (not disconnected) by myself.

So here's what the MSDs look like in there, but the fun observation was the heat sleeve that was touching the second primary on the DS. Look at that sleeve where it was touching, that's after one start, cool down and one drive around the neighborhood!

And just because

Old 03-20-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They look like they fit much better, and after seeing what a couple heat cycles did the the sleeve seems like a good decision.

BTW, I really dig the blue and white theme.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Engine bay looks great, good decision on the heat sleeves.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

yeah everything really does look good man, good job.

Quick Reply: TSP 1 7/8" and Plug Wires