Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will going catted true duals from catted y bring my cam chop back?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Will going catted true duals from catted y bring my cam chop back?

I bought the car with a LM1 hooked up to an ory and long tubes with a cam and immediately started looking for a quieter setup. The cam loped hard but anything above idle sounded terrible and obnoxiously loud. Plus, I don't like cops or angry neighbors.

I then purchased my magnaflow catback which killed off a fair amount of my cam chop but it was there enough for me to hear and others to notice. All was right in the world except for the smell and rasp of the ory.

Finally, I had a catted Y fabbed up with a flowmaster merge and two bullet style 3" spun metallic thunderbolt cats. This was the end of my cam chop, not to mention completely neutering the volume of my car. I easily lost half the sound volume and all the presence of my cam in the exhaust note at idle. All I hear is valve train now at anything other than my foot into it. I don't really like using my cutout because I don't think it sounds that great and anything other than wot.

I have to retain the cats to be civil due to my close knit office job and my girlfriend. Nobody likes the smell and I hated the rasp I had without them. I will admit, I'm now 100% rasp free from idle to redline, which almost makes up for the loss of volume but I miss my cam.

Would a catted true dual setup bring back some of my cam chop at idle? There are new pickup trucks that sound louder and more aggressive than my car now.

Last edited by RebelExtrm02; 03-17-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to have say yes. I had a car with a 111 lsa cam with a catless true dual system all the way out back with bullets, and it was retardedly loud but sounded good, if that makes any sense. It would rattle my windows at idle. Throwing on a couple cats will only quiet it down just slightly but should retain that classic sound.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep your exhaust and retune the idle so it cams hard. Lower the idle and pull out some timing. It's all in the tune. You can get a baby 224 cam on a 115 chop hard if you tune the idle that way.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is sort of the situation I'm in. I've got a Hooker catback, Flowmaster merge, and hollowed out ceramic Thunderbolt cats. The ceramics did exactly the same thing to mine. I've ran it a year and a half with the hollowed out ones. I just bought a set of metallic Thunderbolts to put on it, hopefully in the next week or so. I hoped they wouldn't hurt as bad, but it sounds like they might. Not good news for me either. I'm pleased with the sound, but hate the smell. Guess it may be time to buy some low profile cutouts to put infront of the cats.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as long as it still performs the same i dont see the problem, you now have a stealthy car that will outperform 90% of the cars on the road. this is also coming from a guy with a 111lsa cam who likes to run open cutout. maybe i should get cats.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bigger cam
Old 03-18-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No the problem is your muffler choice. My catted tds were quieter with my cam than my y pipe was.

Quick Reply: Will going catted true duals from catted y bring my cam chop back?