Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fantastic Kooks headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know dude....

Originally Posted by kdick91
Coming from someone who did polys with entire exhaust in, just do the motor mounts while they're out lol. If you get it together and it bangs, it's too late. Really though, there is more to it than that. If you change them and look at the old ones you will realize why it is a good investment. Just do it once and get it over with. Congrats on the headers though! I'm living with my Pacesetters :/ Rust and all...

I have full intention of doing the motor mounts. I absolutely am looking forward to the final step in all that I've done in stiffening things up to experience a locked in motor. I am dying to get the Spohn tubular mounts, is this a good idea? I don't recall in any of the scanning through thousands of posts seeing anyone running them..........
Old 03-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

I have had my motor mounts out once already when changing the oil pan gasket....I know they are on borrowed time. I drive ruthlessly and with a vengence!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats, I've had SLP headers (first design), TSP 1 7/8 headers, and Kooks 1 7/8 headers. The kooks headers are as you said "a work of art". The driver side header is easier to install form the bottom as long as you remove the oil filter, oil drain plug, and have the car atleast 3' in the air. As everyone else said, this is a perfect time to do new motor mounts, and you may have to grind the k-member slightly on the passenger side for clearance. I had to grind my k-member, if you have the 1 3/4 kooks you might not have too.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really you get one of the best headers possible and then a loudmouth cat-back? Yuck. Meh but to be positive, congrats on your purchase!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Teching In

i cant wait to get mine =) im glad you posted this cause i was hesitant on the quality of their product. but now i think im going to have to order my headers and cutouts soon!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

While we are talking about kooks headers I would like to pose a question. I have been wanting the 1 7/8 headers but now i have seen some dyno number that show stepped 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 headers add 10rwhp over the straight 1 7/8. Also there is a $200 difference in the stepped are more. So i am debating whether it is worth it or not. Just wanted some input and not start another thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157314
Old 03-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up Hole up!

Originally Posted by udienow
Really you get one of the best headers possible and then a loudmouth cat-back? Yuck. Meh but to be positive, congrats on your purchase!
The LM1 system is already there....do I intend to keep it? No. Striving to get the Cors RSC system. I know the LM1 isn't going to sound to great, but def loud. I like it loud too.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FBGSU02
While we are talking about kooks headers I would like to pose a question. I have been wanting the 1 7/8 headers but now i have seen some dyno number that show stepped 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 headers add 10rwhp over the straight 1 7/8. Also there is a $200 difference in the stepped are more. So i am debating whether it is worth it or not. Just wanted some input and not start another thread.

i would guess some back pressure up top is good, but id like to look into that more as well
Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FBGSU02

Very interesting...I ordered TSP 1 7/8 anyway to save some dough
Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Teching In

well by going over the camaro5 forum that was posted i saw that the stepped headers do make alot more well ranged power down low and 10 more hp up top. the science makes sense. i think i have made my decision for my temporary cutout setup. by what the showed for people who didnt see what a straight 1 7/8 setup compared to 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8 with minor bolt ons and later a supercharger comparison with a mild cam. (street setup) which is what most of us are looking for.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GotaZbod
well by going over the camaro5 forum that was posted i saw that the stepped headers do make alot more well ranged power down low and 10 more hp up top. the science makes sense. i think i have made my decision for my temporary cutout setup. by what the showed for people who didnt see what a straight 1 7/8 setup compared to 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8 with minor bolt ons and later a supercharger comparison with a mild cam. (street setup) which is what most of us are looking for.
stock head size is 1 3/4 so just think about the velocity of exhaust flow is being lost at low rpms
Old 05-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

Well, they are finally on. The install was uneventful, nothing was ground down nor hammer in. There is no clearance issues with the ground, even with my exagerated drop in the front. I will be throwing out the SLP LM soon as possible as it is an insane police magnet. I really think I will go with a Magnaflow system. It is fooking awesome at RPM like a 50 cal machine gun, no less. I did start it and run it with open headers....I thought Godzilla was in my garage! Crazy. My O2 simms work perfect. My new Vette O2 front bank sensors work perfect. No SES codes to clear. Innocent bystanders out walking were mortified at the racket coming forth from yonder pipes! HA! The rasp at idle, yep it's there. 10 hour install time total. That's with new plugs, motor mounts, beating the **** outta the SLP connection to get it loose. Feel maybe a tad bit more power....untuned. And for future header installs out there I did it jacked up to a height of 19 1/2". No issues. Just if anyone out there is wondering "Do I have it high enough?" using KOOKS.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you dont have kooks true duals? You will have no rasp then
Old 05-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

no not true duals, KOOKS 3" y collector
not completely disgusted, just never heard the villainous "rasp"
I'd go to the true duals after I get past the heads and cam portion of the show
next up....4.10 rear axle (stock) but reinforced by a Trick Flow aluminum cover.
only being a temp solution for extended power.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cover wont make the rear end stronger... Who told you that? The spider gears and the ring gear are to small and brake.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

I installed my Kooks 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" stepped headers and off-road true dual system a few weeks ago.

Couldn't agree more, going from SLP tuned length to this system is night and day, the quality amazed me right out of the box.

Got mine from Maryland Speed, excellent site sponsor
Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
Cover wont make the rear end stronger... Who told you that? The spider gears and the ring gear are to small and brake.
only a bit stiffer? that's what I am out for....waste of money right now?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes putting a dime in the glass 10 bolt is a waste the cover is for looks nothing else maybe a few pounds. Just save up for a 9 inch moser, strange, or mwc rear
Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by splitfinger09
I wouldn't use the gaskets or bolts that came with the headers. I like gm mls gaskets and arp ls1 header studs.
+1 that's what I went with.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't waste your money on the cover. If you want to do 4.10's you can I did but they are starting to whine and I'm building a 9 inch to replace it.

I also have the Spohn soild and I love the shake, makes me feel like I'm in a old school muscle car

They will raise your motor a bit but it won't move so you shouldn't have any clearance problems unless your Y-pipe is going hit anyways.

Edit: I x3 the move on the GM gaskets and better bolts.

Quick Reply: Fantastic Kooks headers