Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine reassembly, now back fire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012 | 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm glad you found some evidence there.
All I was trying to say is to check each colored wire AT each coil. Yes, the pass side has a common brn/wh at each coil, but those same coils also have separate (3 other) colors to further identify each wiring/coil. Likewise, with the driver's side coils.
I posted those colors early on in this thread.
Anyway, hope you can move on after the cracked spark plug.

Last edited by gMAG; 03-31-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2012 | 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Post#4
Originally Posted by 01transampower
I would pull your plugs. Ibet one of the plugs is cracked
Post#5
Originally Posted by Fosnot
Just for sake of other possibilities... are there any other possibilities?
Post#6
Originally Posted by 01transampower
Coil pack could go bad but that is rare. Or a plug wire. My best is one of the 3. Plugs are what id really check first. They break fairly easy.
Post#40
Originally Posted by Fosnot
Well I took all the spark plugs off the driver's side, low and behold the plug in very back has a cracked base (2 hairline cracks from the contact point to the hex base). I guess I'll get the coils tested while I'm at the auto parts store just in case. The other crack is just on the otherside right out of view of the camera. Both about this size.

In case there is still an issue after the plug replacement (and coil test come back clean?)
Any other suggestions?
Personally I suggest that you replace the plugs and go from there. Not trying to be a dick, just illustrating a point. A cracked plug was suggested 6 days ago...It is usually best to start with the simplest diagnosis of a fault before searching for major issues that might not exist...just my $.02
Old 03-31-2012 | 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
if ur saying it has to warm up to start backfiring then its not ur problem, if u have this backwards it will do it right away.

If u unplug each connection from each coil pack and grab that main connection up under the fuel rail and twist it you can flip the order completely around. Nothing to do with the coil pack order.
Yeah when mine was turned around there was no warming up or it taking a minute to start screwing up. Its instant. If you have ever gotten a spark plug wire crossed on a regular distributor ignition thats exactly what its like. You can't even move the car if the harness is wrong. Well, maybe barely move it.

I would check plugs. EDIT: Glad to see you pulled the plugs. If those aren't knew I would suggest installing some TR55's.

Good Luck
Old 03-31-2012 | 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

waterbug1999
if ur saying it has to warm up to start backfiring then its not ur problem, if u have this backwards it will do it right away."

gMAG ^^^agreed.

waterbug1999..."If u unplug each connection from each coil pack and grab that main connection up under the fuel rail and twist it you can flip the order completely around. Nothing to do with the coil pack order.

gMAG^^^ not sure if we're saying the same thing....twisting that main bus wiring 180 degs, does change the firing order. As an example (prev posted...) instead of 1,3,5,7, the order becomes 7,5,3,1.

LS1WS6dreamer...."Yeah when mine was turned around there was no warming up or it taking a minute to start screwing up. Its instant. If you have ever gotten a spark plug wire crossed on a regular distributor ignition thats exactly what its like. You can't even move the car if the harness is wrong. Well, maybe barely move it.

gMAG ^^^I agree with your description of the symptoms. However, my car moved just fine, but without the expected power.
Old 03-31-2012 | 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NY02ws6
Personally I suggest that you replace the plugs and go from there. Not trying to be a dick, just illustrating a point. A cracked plug was suggested 6 days ago...It is usually best to start with the simplest diagnosis of a fault before searching for major issues that might not exist...just my $.02
I believe that he was at school and had to travel to get to his car. That's why the delay.
In a similar point to yours ("searching for major issues"), checking the wiring of coil pack order would have taken all of five minutes...less time than looking at even one spark plug. However, even though the procedure was spelled out in the second or third post, I believe that it hasn't been understood or recognized, yet.
Thanks for serving, my friend! I salute you.

Last edited by gMAG; 03-31-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine reassembly, now back fire?