Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals, LM1, 224 Cam, Headers, California... Bad Combo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I mis-interpretted your post to mean that any true duals without a h or x would sound bad. I agree with you the dual LM1 setup is a bad idea.

My mufflers are in the same place as the TSP duals puts them on a fbody, I've installed them on 2 different friends' cars. Muffler type of course is different. My point was just that duals do not need the crossover to sound good, which as it turns out isn't what you meant.

TSP duals with the Sweet Thunders, 1 chamber Flowmasters, and Dynomax bullets all sound excellent.
Exactly the muffler choice can make as big or bigger diff then an X or H but all together is better especially in Kali. True the TSP TDs are in the same place but WiTH the X. I had straight duals with Flows on my 71 Cutlass 350 Rocket and it sounded like most other A bodies, then I had a H cross over put in, and the sound didnt change very much but my low end TQ felt a lot stronger making the car more responsive an more fun to drive.
The only way a TD LM would sound ok is with an X at least and switch out the resonators for Borla, Magnaflow, or some other mufflers.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes I'm running high flow cats and an X pipe, and why do you guys say my setup is a bad idea??? It sounds great to me and many others that have heard my car in person........
Old 04-06-2012, 02:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PheonixLS1
Yes I'm running high flow cats and an X pipe, and why do you guys say my setup is a bad idea??? It sounds great to me and many others that have heard my car in person........
Im not, since you have an X and cats it CAN and has sound pretty good. I've seen other people run variations of that set up, making good power and sounding sweet. I'm saying that if you didn't have an X and or cats it would sound like ***. The OP was contemplating running the Dual LM1's with no X and off-road pipes= DUMP TRUCK sound.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:16 AM
Launching!

What's the point in even using a LM1. Its just a hollow pipe that wouldn't even make sense to call a resonator. LM1 setups are basically straight pipes.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PheonixLS1
You have cats which reduce rasp and volume some, and usually deepen the tone.

Without them it would sound like pure straight pipes. AKA, redneck dog ****.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hardcore4sure
The only way a TD LM would sound ok is with an X at least and switch out the resonators for Borla, Magnaflow, or some other mufflers.
At that point you have bought two factory LM systems, hacked them apart, and replaced the resonators. It really isn't even an LM based dual system anymore. Might as well by some stanless pipe, x-juntion, some mufflers, and get to welding.

For duals, either buy one of the premade systems, or buy a junction/pipe/and muffler of your choice and have it fabricated.

Hacking up stock style F-body exhasut for an LMI resonator (that SLP used to sell, and may still, as a stand alone item) is really a waste of time and resources.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cranny
What's the point in even using a LM1. Its just a hollow pipe that wouldn't even make sense to call a resonator. LM1 setups are basically straight pipes.
Only that they are already prebent to go over the axle, making it a little easier to fab a TD set up.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
At that point you have bought two factory LM systems, hacked them apart, and replaced the resonators. It really isn't even an LM based dual system anymore. Might as well by some stanless pipe, x-juntion, some mufflers, and get to welding.

For duals, either buy one of the premade systems, or buy a junction/pipe/and muffler of your choice and have it fabricated.

Hacking up stock style F-body exhasut for an LMI resonator (that SLP used to sell, and may still, as a stand alone item) is really a waste of time and resources.
I agree, but I have seen it done a few times both with and without replacing the mufflers. The only problem with pre made systems are most don't run all the way back, and the ones that do are very pricey. If you already have a LM another one can be found used for cheap, so if you wanted to run your set up out the back you have all the pipe and it will keep the labor cost down at a muffler shop.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet all the hippie liberals in California would love the sound of the lm1's
Old 04-06-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hardcore4sure
I agree, but I have seen it done a few times both with and without replacing the mufflers. The only problem with pre made systems are most don't run all the way back, and the ones that do are very pricey. If you already have a LM another one can be found used for cheap, so if you wanted to run your set up out the back you have all the pipe and it will keep the labor cost down at a muffler shop.
In that case I see what you are saying. I was thinking he was just trying to hack up two LMI's to make true duals dumped at the axle, which to me seemed totally pointless.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
In that case I see what you are saying. I was thinking he was just trying to hack up two LMI's to make true duals dumped at the axle, which to me seemed totally pointless.
That may have been one of his ideas, which is shy I strongly recommended against it, especially without a crossover pipe of some kind. In many other states it could be fine but in Kali it's just asking for trouble.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Yea I've decided to ditch the whole LM1 thing all together, I'm just gonna get the headers and Y-pipe on there with my dual/dual and see how it sounds. I think I'll just end up getting new tips for the dual/dual to change the look and once the cam goes in it should sound pretty good. The FLP Y-pipe has cats but it also is easy to take them out and put in the straight tubes in place of the cats so I can hear and try both but in Cali I'll be keeping the cats on 99% of the time.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by B0dyDr0pp3d
Yea I've decided to ditch the whole LM1 thing all together, I'm just gonna get the headers and Y-pipe on there with my dual/dual and see how it sounds. I think I'll just end up getting new tips for the dual/dual to change the look and once the cam goes in it should sound pretty good. The FLP Y-pipe has cats but it also is easy to take them out and put in the straight tubes in place of the cats so I can hear and try both but in Cali I'll be keeping the cats on 99% of the time.
That's a good idea, especially since you can add or remove cats at will. It should sound good with the cam. If it's not loud enough, the LM1 with a Borla 3" XR1 #40085 in place of the resonator, is a lot louder but a clean sound. No rasp.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
You're going to want some good mufflers, if you don't run cats. Id at least remove the LM1 resonator and put a Magnaflow #12867 in it's place. Iv'e got a Borla in the I-pipe and a magnaflow oval out back and it's still loud, but it just a deep rumble that's not irritating at all.
IMO, you might want to try it out first with the SLP Dual/Dual (with the silencer ring removed) since it will be louder with the cam, headers, and no-cats
best idea so far imo
Old 04-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Truthfully, loud exhaust is COP bait, or in SMOG **** LAND, California Hater Patrol bait, same thing as window tint. Some CHP dont care, and then there are the ones that will do 40mph through a parking lot just to write you a window tint ticket. Trust me, ask how i know. I love how they regulate what i can put on my car, but dont give a **** if some one pops out five children that they cant provide for!!! BTW smart choice on exhaust, your CHP bait % just went down... hahaha
Old 04-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Sooooo, does this mean you have a LM1 for sale??....Im more than interested than buying it off you. I have GMMG so it wont be going on my car...
Old 04-07-2012, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by My LS-won
Sooooo, does this mean you have a LM1 for sale??....Im more than interested than buying it off you. I have GMMG so it wont be going on my car...
Yes it does, PM me

Quick Reply: True Duals, LM1, 224 Cam, Headers, California... Bad Combo?