Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My oil is really dirty!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
I already have re run the lines. I have no maf. Thought I would just keep it all in one thread.

If no MAF, then the car has previously been tuned. Was it tuned before or after you installed the breathers with heads connected to the intake? If it was tuned the way that you had it, then there is no tune related issue. The unmeasured air was accounted for in the tune.

If it was tuned prior to the breathers connected to intake vacuum, then going back to a "standard" PCV rounting, as you already have done, will help. Since the car is running MAFless, you need to find out if the tuner turned off your short &/or long term fuel trims. My guess is that, at the very least, long term fuel trims are active & will re-learn over time; again, if it was tuned originally w/ standard PCV routing.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1-450
If no MAF, then the car has previously been tuned. Was it tuned before or after you installed the breathers with heads connected to the intake? If it was tuned the way that you had it, then there is no tune related issue. The unmeasured air was accounted for in the tune.

If it was tuned prior to the breathers connected to intake vacuum, then going back to a "standard" PCV rounting, as you already have done, will help. Since the car is running MAFless, you need to find out if the tuner turned off your short &/or long term fuel trims. My guess is that, at the very least, long term fuel trims are active & will re-learn over time; again, if it was tuned originally w/ standard PCV routing.
No it was tuned with the breathers. This was my take on it as well. The Intake manifold was sucking air in through the breathers as much as it wanted as the RPM increased. So now that the PCV is set to stock it might be a tad on the rich side.

I'm going to hook it up to a wideband soon and check it.

Thanks for the reply its right in line with what I was thinking.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
No it was tuned with the breathers. This was my take on it as well. The Intake manifold was sucking air in through the breathers as much as it wanted as the RPM increased. So now that the PCV is set to stock it might be a tad on the rich side.

I'm going to hook it up to a wideband soon and check it.

Thanks for the reply its right in line with what I was thinking.

Yah, it's really important to include as many details as possible when asking about a set up. Makes it easier for us to get you the answers you're looking for. BTW, the way your breather to intake set up was plumbed was also very good @ moving fresh air through the crank case, of which is a good thing. Although, having the pass side head capped & only a breather on the driver side would ensure that the airflow came all the way through the crank case every time; which is the real reason for the PCV system. Having vacuum connected to the crank case also helps piston motion in that there's less energy required to move in a vacuum.

Personally, I'd put it back; knowing now that it was tuned that way. BTW, black oil doesn't necessarily mean not effective. I don't remember the specifics regarding your dirty oil question, but, if it bugs you, just change it more often. Good-luck
Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car idles much better now, just need to check the the AF/r while driving. Nick Williams told me when I was talking to him about it (had to get a fitting from him for the clean provision coming off the TB, because mine did not have it) he told me, that you really don't need a breather system until your FI. FWIW

Quick Reply: My oil is really dirty!