Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a quieter free flowing muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The Dynomax muffler is pretty quiet.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by needtransam
too loud for a track? i mean my car with a magnaflow exhaust is so quite to me it sounds stock and i have longtubes and ory, so I call the track BS because too loud for a track seems to me you probably beat the owners honda at the track and got mad and kicked you out "just speculation"

Plenty of tracks/events are measuring exhaust noise with decibel meters these days & the allowable noise level is pretty restrictive. Too loud & you can't run.

I've got the oldest drag strip in continuous operation in the US not very far from me and people in the adjacent county across the river have sued and successfully had the track operations restrained.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you guys...reading comprehension is not your best suit. Several rr tracks have noise restrictions and quite truthfully my car is on the loud end of things. The week prior to the race they allowed anyone interested to go see if they qualify. The noise meter is located halfway down one of the straights.

There was only a handful of us that we're too loud, including an open Shelby. I'd give up 5hp to run that track on a regular basis.

Track owners don't dictate the rules as much as their neighbors that move in years after the fact.

Thanks to those who addressed the question. To those who just threw out speculation and whining....not so much.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

KCIR was getting that way before the city bought it out and torn it down. sounds like another track about to be doomed soon
Old 04-20-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Stick a bullet style muffler in the i-pipe that should quiet it down some more
Old 04-20-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would look for an slp dual / dual or even a stock ss / ws6 exhaust. They dont give up much at all. Then I would add an e cut out to by pass the muffler.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This track has actually been closed for years from what I understand due to financial issues and is just reopening with the idea to try and give it a go. One of the requirements was to limit the noise.

Anyone that runs shorter tracks at 1.5 miles or less loves to run a longer one like this at slightly over 2.5 miles.

Thx for the suggestions guys! For the guy with the slp muff, what kind of price shipped to 85226?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Come thru the gates with open headers and maybe they will call the police.That is sad when you got to loose horsepower to race.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

The owner built the track for personal use,he then started having events there and that was not in the initial zoning/ building agreement,that's why it has been closed and reopened several times. Has nothing to do with money.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I stand corrected. I still want to run on that track though.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Teching In

this is another reason why i love my factory exhaust with the e-cutout. Completely quiet when i want it to be, and varying degrees of loud when i want that! plus it out flows that magnaflow, or any other muffler for that matter, all day long

I've got long tubes and an off road Y-pipe infront of it, so its pretty damn loud when i open it up
Old 04-22-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
What this guy said... Dual/Dual muffler for the win. I swapped to it from a Magnaflow and had no loss of power, AND it quieted the car down. Was exactly what I wanted and then some. If you're still too loud after this... well then you're going to have to start putting resonators into the I-Pipe.

Good luck.
I swapped my LM1 for a DD and it's REALLY quiet now, actually too quiet but when I hammer it, it's loud. I have been debating on adding an electric cutout to make it louder when I want.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
What this guy said... Dual/Dual muffler for the win. I swapped to it from a Magnaflow and had no loss of power, AND it quieted the car down. Was exactly what I wanted and then some. If you're still too loud after this... well then you're going to have to start putting resonators into the I-Pipe.

Good luck.
Glad you're happy with it. Did you install the tips too?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:20 AM
Staging Lane

im running a huge cam, long tubes, no cats, into a magnaflow y merge, to a hushpower muffler. during idle its pretty tame. but when you hammer the throttle it gets loud!! i also dont like the rasp from the y merge..
Old 04-27-2012, 05:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a relatively quiet CB the SLP PowerFlo CB is a good choice. Around town its very tame, even at idle. It only talks when you jump on it. Plus it's a high flow, straight through design that is stainless and light weight.

Quick Reply: I need a quieter free flowing muffler