Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant temp sensor relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Default coolant temp sensor relocation?

as many of you know there are two locations for the coolant tempature sensor to go on ls1 heads, one on the drivers side front of the head (stock) and a plug on the passengerside rear of the head. my question is, would moving the sensor to the rear passenger side head cause any issues with it reading correctly? i'd like to eliminate the wiring going complete over the motor to get to that sensor..

just for reference. the head on the right is the drivers side, the head on the left is the passenger side.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope. Heads are interchangeable for side, coolant flows the same over there as it does on The drivers side...with the exception of vehicles that have the coolant plugs instead of the cross over under the intake. That area of the engine tends to run hotter. However, moving the cts over there, if it did get hotter would kick your fans on slightly sooner and possibly keep the engine cooler.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:10 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I hate to butt in here, but what would you recommend to seal the threads with? Teflon tape, paste....?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I hate to butt in here, but what would you recommend to seal the threads with? Teflon tape, paste....?
A soft copper sealing washer would do more good, as the threads are straight cut. Teflon/sealers work good for pipe threads but don't do as much good on a straight thread.

Quick Reply: coolant temp sensor relocation?