Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout + Turndown = No Rasp (Correction = less rasp)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Cutout + Turndown = No Rasp (Correction = less rasp)

Hello All,

Trying to calm down some of the 2000 - 2800 rpm rasp coming from a partially open electric cutout mounted in my intermediate pipe.

Heard from a couple others that a turndown on the cutout solves the problem. Hoping to get a little more feedback before I pull the trigger on one of these:

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/Turndowns/

My setup: H/C/I + 1 7/8" headers + ORY + cutout in a Flowmaster (yes I know they stink) catback.

If this will solve the rasp issue I can go upgrade to a Magnaflow or Hooker catback and still enjoy the cutout when I need an exhaust note with more volume/authority.

Last edited by Midnight02; 06-18-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

got my slp lm2 turned down and the rasp is minimal at best. prob will work for the cut out as well
Old 06-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Kooks headers with ORY and electric cutout in I pipe and corsa cat back. Had horrible rasp so put a turn down on it. It reduced the noise inside caused by the exhaust pulses hitting the floor pan but did not help the rasp at all. Ended up getting a catted Y and now it sounds good.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the feedback guys.

BBUIKEMA -- how much did the catted y-pipe impact the overall volume of your exhaust note? Header + ORY + Cutout would be a 10 on a scale of 1-10 and Headers + ORY + Catback would be more like a 5. Just curious if the catted-y still sounds like an 8-9 from a loudness standpoint or if it would cut it down to a 5-6.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was actually surprised it didn't quiet it down much at all, just got rid of the rasp. Maybe lost 1-2 points on your loudness scale. It may not be as loud but I think it sounds much meaner. The rasp was embarrassing to me so I didn't want to get on it and have people hear that. Now I open the cutout and when I go under an overpass I can't help but get on it and hear the echo and roar, then look around and watch all the people wondering what the hell that was.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since the part was dirt cheap, I went ahead and ordered one of the QTP cutout turn downs. Installed it tonight and it did make a noticeable difference.....things are quieter inside the car, less rasp and popping outside of the car. Slightly quieter (not much....just a bit more tame). It's not some perfect miracle fix, however it fixed about 75% of my problem.

I still get some rasp in the 2000 - 2300 range in the upper gears (3,4,5) when I'm pressing on the gas lightly, however the range where it's problematic is much, much smaller than it was before.

In short, that was a $30 upgrade I should've done a LONG time ago.

Quick Reply: Cutout + Turndown = No Rasp (Correction = less rasp)