Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage fluctuates at idle only after new alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Voltage fluctuates at idle only after new alternator?

Before the new alternator i was having major discharging problems at idle and during driving. Since then I have rewired the battery, starter and alternator with 4 gauge wiring and gold connectors. Also bought a new battery and a new alternator. While on the street or freeway the voltages stays and doesn't move. But at idle the car will all the sudden just start to discharge into the yellow zone for a second or two and come back. It happens every 5-6 seconds. Anyone know what i should look for?
Old 03-31-2004, 11:46 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the connections perfect?
Might have to get that alternator checked.
Have you taken a volt meter & confirmed that is what the voltage is doing ?
Old 04-01-2004, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrencher
All the connections perfect?
Might have to get that alternator checked.
Have you taken a volt meter & confirmed that is what the voltage is doing ?
Connections are fine.

Voltage when car is off jumps from 12.5 to 11.8 randomly and while the car is on, just sits at 14.3...
Old 04-01-2004, 11:45 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,193 Likes on 769 Posts

I don't understand this sentence "Voltage when car is off jumps from 12.5 to 11.8 randomly and while the car is on, just sits at 14.3..." you mean when the key is in the ON position it jumps around?

I autotapped a few cars a few years ago and I compared the voltages at idle, and most were fluctuating very little at idle. If you are seeing weird drops, big drops, something is wrong. Maybe your fans are kicking on and the fan ground is messed up?
Old 04-01-2004, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I don't understand this sentence "Voltage when car is off jumps from 12.5 to 11.8 randomly and while the car is on, just sits at 14.3..." you mean when the key is in the ON position it jumps around?

I autotapped a few cars a few years ago and I compared the voltages at idle, and most were fluctuating very little at idle. If you are seeing weird drops, big drops, something is wrong. Maybe your fans are kicking on and the fan ground is messed up?
What i meant is that when the key isn't even in the ignition i would check the voltage and it would fluctuate. But then i had the key in and turned the car on and the voltage was dead at 14.3 yet when i put on my brakes or see the fans kicking on or just random times at idle the volts will hit into the yellow...

Any easy things to check before the hard ones?

Quick Reply: Voltage fluctuates at idle only after new alternator?